Summary: Today’s world tells you to have self-confidence so what is wrong with that? Find out!
Confidence - Trust or faith in a person or thing
Here’s what the world is trying to get you to believe. And some of us are buying into it.
· Confidence builds life.
· You can have whatever you want with self-confidence. You’ll go just as far in life as your self-confidence will allow. To a large extent, your life is a reflection of your confidence.
· With confidence, you can seize the moment and take advantage of opportunities that come your way. With confidence, your dreams and visions can become real. With confidence, you can live the life you want.
· Having self-confidence is a matter of choice.
· Lack of confidence is always a matter of choice. You have to choose to not have confidence.
The motivating professionals will also give us four components that are said to help us build our self-confidence. And while they maybe on target, they are missing the bull’s eye.
(Example: dart throwing and hitting the center)
They have the right points they are just pointed in the wrong direction.
Let me show you what I mean:
1. Trust is one component of self-confidence.
Like esteem, a big part in having confidence is trusting yourself, knowing you can cope with whatever life throws at you.
2. Courage is another component of self-confidence. Courage is not being fearless. Courage is admitting your fears. Confident people are aware of their fears. Confident people admit their fears and act in spite of them. Cowards deny their fears and don’t act because of the very fears they deny. It takes courage to admit your fears, and even more courage to stand up to those fears.
3. ’Letting things be different’ is a component of self-confidence.
Confidence also knows that whatever happened in the past, it could all be different now. Just because you failed before doesn’t mean you will fail this time.
4. The fourth component of self-confidence is hope.
Hope is a combination of expectation and anticipation. Expectation is what you honestly expect to happen - not what you want to happen or wish would happen.
While all of these components of confidence sound good and are actually right to a certain degree, there is one huge problem with all of this.
(Go back and read the points again emphasizing “self”)
When you put all of your TRUST, COURAGE, FORGETTING THE PAST, and HOPE in yourself, you are setting yourself up for a big let down.
· Not only will you let yourself down but also this world can affect your self-confidence.
· People will affect your self-confidence level
· Circumstances will affect your self-confidence level
So what is the answer?
I don’t have high self-esteem
I don’t have confidence in myself
Here it is:
Your confidence can’t be in “self” – it has to be in GOD!
And the bible is very plain about that too!
“…That your confidence may about in Christ Jesus”
”For we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh.”
Let’s go back and look at the four components in this different light.