Summary: Most Christians are powerless. Now, that might be a statement you agree with or it might be a statement you feel is too judgmental. Either way, it’s a statement about the church I’m not happy to have to make.
WHERE IS YOUR POWER
Most Christians are powerless. Now, that might be a statement you agree with or it might be a statement you feel is too judgmental. Either way, it’s a statement about the church I’m not happy to have to make.
Consider what “normal” Christianity in the typical believer looks like today. This person is probably a bit self-seeking and materialistic, and most of his daily choices are about improving his own life not improving the kingdom of God.
What passes for normal Christianity today must be an outrage to God. It’s not only powerless, it’s passionless, it lacks self-sacrifice. In other words, it’s cross-less—and therefore Christ-less.
It’s time for the church to take a spiritual inventory to see whether our “spiritual” pursuits are leading us closer to God’s heart or causing us to run away from God.
The verse we read in Acts says, “And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken.”
• Daniel was thrown to the lions because his prayer life terrorized the demonic bureaucrats of Babylon.
• Elijah prayed and fire fell from heaven. Too many today preach this as figurative and not literal.
• Moses prayed and as long as his hands were held up Israel was winning. The moment his hands came down, Israel would begin to lose.
MY POINT IS THIS, Your prayers are the secret of releasing God’s power in your life.
• Jesus had a powerful prayer life; He prayed all night many nights. And after He had prayed all night, then came the signs and wonders.
• It is a tragedy when the powerlessness of OUR lives causes others to doubt whether God is able to help them.
• The Christian life described in the Word of God is a POWERFUL life.
• The early church made a dramatic impact on every city where a new group of believers began to gather.
• Sometimes there were revivals and sometimes there were beatings and Christians martyred, but either way there was no doubt that something was happening.
• Today many churches are having almost no noticeable impact on their cities. In fact, few would notice if they closed.
• THIS LACK OF POWER DOES NOT GO UNNOTICED.
• One of the reasons our society is so willing to abandon the moral principles we’ve followed is that they see no reason to believe or fear God based on the lack of His power and presence they see in our lives.
I. Ephesians 5:14- WHEREFORE HE SAITH, AWAKE thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
A. Awake – To take action
B. Sleepest – Turn from sin or idleness
C. Arise from the dead – a time or place of separation
D. Christ shall give thee light – Help, Spiritual strength & power
II. Ephesians 5:15- SEE THEN THAT YE WALK CIRCUMSPECTLY, not as fools, but as wise,
A. Ye walk CIRCUMSPECTLY – thinking carefully about possible risks before doing or saying something