Summary: Psalms 119 is a prayer yet its a powerful revelation to us. We need a fresh revelation from God.
I. THREE THINGS I MUST REALIZE
108 Accept, I beseech thee, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, and teach me thy judgments.
109 My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law.
110 The wicked have laid a snare for me: yet I erred not from thy precepts.
A. Accept I will be in violation of God’s law if I wont let him teach me
1. My need for a Word and a Revelation from the Holy Ghost is of the utmost priority. I am depraved by nature; I inherited a carnal nature from Adam, I am rebellious without premeditation, it is my heritage as a carnal human. I can fight against it myself but I will lose, I can say I choose to turn over a new leaf and say I am the master of my destiny but without the word of God and the teachings of his precious commandments I am at best, Lost!!
2. vs 107 I am afflicted very much: quicken me, O LORD, according unto thy word. Psalmist David writes I am afflicted, (Dead to God, bondage so intense that a vortex has drained the very life from me) what a horrible dilemma? His next phrase is quicken me (Make me to live) according to thy word. I now am in a place where I must choose to live or to die; I will let the bondage over power me or find the source of strength that is able to defeat even my greatest bondage.
B. My choice is always my choice
David is speaking of a time when his life is in danger every moment that he is alive. The bondage and oppression so great, the pain of thought so intense that it becomes a type of death yet he is still living; So David states make me alive and vibrant again, with thy word. Make me bigger than my circumstance no matter how power my circumstance may appear. He knew that the word of God was so powerful that it could deliver him from a fate that seemed worse than death.
I remember when Hollywood came out with the phrase “who you gonna call?” There is a choice and the choice is in his hands but he makes a choice to direct himself toward the lord and trust in the word that can’t fail. Rom 8:31…If God be for us who can be against us? If you believe that Bible is the untainted word of God, then you must believe as David did, My God is a very present help in the time of trouble.
C. The devil is constantly trying to make me fall
1. David is stating that those who see his bondage only dream of his death. They want him dead and out of the picture, they would love to speak only of his failures and forget that it was David that slew the Giant; and that David raised up the mighty men, and that David was responsible for establishing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Satan would love to get us to focus our attention on the one little black spot and forget about a life that has been given to the service of God. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God and all have had to be restored by the blood of Jesus Christ. For every attempt the devil uses to destroy who I am, the blood of Christ has fortified what I am created to be.
2. Yes my friends the Devil is trying to lay snares so that all the good we do is forgotten, but he is a liar and there is a powerful word from God that will raise up the champion again. Don’t be discourage because the devil hates you, but be encouraged because God loves you; Don’t be deceived by what your eyes may see around you, but let your eyes behold the Word of God, which carries the promise, Heaven and Earth will pass away but my word will not pass away until all things be fulfilled. Wow what a guarantee!! What a way to live, knowing as long I trust his leadership I will win.
I. THREE THINGS THE WORD OF GOD IS
105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
111 Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart.
A. Lamp- This is light given for short distance viewing. David writes the word of God lights my immediate path where I walk.
1. You won’t always have long distance revelation. There will be times when you have to take one step at a time, when you have to let the Lord Jesus tell you where to put every step, one step at a time. This is short term revelation it is a building of relationship with Christ, but Christ himself is the source that brings each step into time with God.