Summary: Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Freedom - 2 Cor. 3:17 - Praise God for the liberty given to you by the Spirit, but utilize the freedoms for serving Jesus and others in love
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Freedom - 2 Cor. 3:17 - Praise God for the liberty given to you by the Spirit, but utilize the freedoms for serving Jesus and others in love
Illustration:Americans love their liberty
Lord Jesus, thou who art the way, the truth, and the life; hear us as we pray for the truth that shall make all free. Teach us that liberty is not only to be loved but also to be lived. Liberty is too precious a thing to be buried in books. It costs too much to be hoarded. Help us see that our liberty is not the right to do as we please, but the opportunity to please to do what is right.
Peter Marshall, Before the U.S. Senate.
Freedom is great when we know what we have been emancipated from. To enjoy our liberty in the Spirit we need to be mindful of the areas where Christ has freed us from slavery and released us from our captivity. Let us examine a few of these essential areas so we can continue to appropriate our freedom for the greatest service, glory and will of God in our lives:
1. Praise God that He has given us unmistakable freedom from sin and all of its self-destructive corruptions. The Spirit of God releases us from suffering that sin creates. Let us rejoice that the Spirit releases us from all forms of bondage. The Spirit gives us a continual infusion of His new life, liberty and freeing message to release other captives to sin.
The Holy Spirit enables us by renewing our mind, will and emotions with His infusing of new energy through Christ Jesus. The liberty given by the Spirit of God enables us to live above the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life because we are no longer slaves to our own sinful appetites. (I John 2:15,16) Without the Spirit of liberty we are to be captive to unrighteousness of all types that lead to nothing but self-destruction.
Illustration: Speaking to a large audience, D.L. Moody held up a glass and asked, "How can I get the air out of this glass?" One man shouted, "Suck it out with a pump!" Moody replied, "That would create a vacuum and shatter the glass." After numerous other suggestions Moody smiled, picked up a pitcher of water, and filled the glass. "There," he said, "all the air is now removed." He then went on to explain that victory in the Christian life is not accomplished by "sucking out a sin here and there," but by being filled with the Holy Spirit.
Today in the Word, September, 1991, p. 30.
2. Praise God that the Spirit gives us the liberty to be freed from the powers of evil in the world, the flesh and the devil. We are given authority over the forces of evil through Christ who paid for our liberty on the cross and conquered death in his resurrection and ascension. We are to merely enforce the power that the Lord gives us in the Spirit over all that is evil. Ask the Lord to help you enforce your right to overcome evil with good instead of choosing to be overcome by evil in all of its manifestation.
3. Praise God that the Spirit allows us to go on the offensive instead of having to play defense to all the forces that would try to discourage our hearts. Thank God that He has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, love and self-discipline. (2 tim. 1:7) Let us live as those who are freed from all forms of legalism, humanistic constraints, traditions or cultural expectations. The Spirit helps us transcend our earthly limitations with His liberating power in all of our relationships, ministries and personal concerns.
4. Praise God that the Spirit has given us everything we need according to life and godliness through our knowledge of Christ. (2 Pet. 1:3,4) The Spirit frees us from slavery to ignorance by helping us find all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge through Christ Jesus our Lord. The Spirit propels us to greater faith, goodness, love, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and Christian love. Let the Spirit of God help you grow to higher levels of maturity as He desires to according to 2 Cor. 3:18
5. Praise God that He frees us from sin and guilt and shame. The Lord takes away our self-condemning attitudes by allowing us to hand all of our sins of omission and commission over to the Lord and know He will sanctify us and make us free from the shackles of the past.
6. Praise God that He calls us to be free from the grip of the law that we could never hope to keep. Praise God that he free us from the obligation to have to comply with all of the procedures, policies and processes that are needed to make one perfect. Thank God that we find our hope, liberty, faith and love through our intimate communion with Christ Jesus and His word.