Summary: Overview of Psalm 89 . (Powerpoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
3 Key words:
(1). The mercies of the Lord (vs 1-4).
(2). The faithfulness of the Lord (vs 5-52).
• Lucy and Linus were sitting in front of the television set when Lucy said to Linus,
• "Go get me a glass of water."
• Linus looked surprised,
• "Why should I do anything for you? You never do anything for me."
• Lucy promised,
• "On your 75th birthday, I’ll bake you a cake."
• Linus got up, headed to the kitchen and said,
• "Life is more pleasant when you have something to look forward to."
The great missionary Hudson Taylor the founder of China Inland Mission;
• Used to hang in his home a plaque with two Hebrew Words on it:
• EBENEZER & JEHOVAH JIREH.
• The first word means ‘Hitherto hath the Lord helped us’
• And the second, ‘The Lord will see to it or provide.’
• One looked back while the other looked forward.
• One reminded him of God’s faithfulness and the other of God’s assurances.
This psalm is based on two of God’s great attributes:
• His faithfulness and his loving-kindness.
• His faithfulness looks primarily to the past;
• And his loving-kindness primarily looks to the future.
• I want you to note three key words;
• Which dominate the psalm and help us understand its theme.
Key word #1: Faithfulness.
• Scan the psalm and you will see that word mentioned again and again.
• In fact you will read it 7 times - verse 1, verse 2, verse 5, verse 8, verse 14, verse 24, verse 33
• Let’s read them:
Quote: Verse 1:
“I will sing of the LORD’s great love for ever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations”.
Quote: Verse 2:
“I will declare that your love stands firm for ever,
that you established your faithfulness in heaven itself”.
Quote: Verse 5:
“The heavens praise your wonders, O LORD, your faithfulness too,
in the assembly of the holy ones”.
Quote: Verse 8:
“O LORD God Almighty, who is like you?
You are mighty, O LORD, and your faithfulness surrounds you”.
Quote: Verse 14:
“Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne;
love and faithfulness go before you”.
Quote: Verse 24:
“My faithful love will be with him, and through my name his horn will be exalted”.
Quote: Verse 33:
“But I will not take my love from him, nor will I ever betray my faithfulness”.
Key word #2: Forever.
There are three huge gates that lead into the Cathedral of Milan.
• Over one gate there is an inscription in marble under a beautiful flower bouquet that says,
• "The things that please are temporary."
• Over the second gate, there is a cross with this inscription:
• "The things that disturb us are temporary."
• However, over the central gate, there is a big inscription saying,
• "Eternal are the important ones."
• God love is eternal, unending, perpetual, timeless,
• That truth is reflected throughout this psalm.
• And his word, his promise, his covenant is forever.
• Forever – is the second key word is repeated 8 times:
• Verse 1, verse 2, verse 4, verse 28, verse 29, verse 36, verse 37, verse 46.