Summary: HOW DOES PAUL INTRODUCE JESUS CHRIST TO THE CHURCH AT ROME? WHO DOES HE SHOW CHRIST TO BE?
Romans 1:3-4 – Who is Jesus Christ
Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
I. In Romans 1:1-2 we established:
a. The author, Saul of Tarsus transformed by Grace to Paul the Slave of Christ
b. The definition of the Christian life as “Called & Separated”
c. Introduction of the core teachings that save the soul “The Gospel of God”
d. Idea of “Progressive Revelation”
i. Progressive Revelation is the idea that the glorious riches of grace are so mind-blowing that God could not share it with man all at once
ii. The priests, the robes, the ephods, the manna, the cloud, the fire, the ram caught in the tickets, the oil, the wine, the water, the lambs, the gold, the sprinkling, it took it all to show what would be accomplished by one sacrifice, one lamb, who would offer Himself up once and for all for the sin of the whole world
II. His Son Jesus Christ Our Lord
a. Paul will now turn to have us explore the Person of Jesus Christ
i. No doubt the greatest question of all history that everyone must answer is “who do you believe Jesus Christ is?”
1. This question determines how you will live this life
2. This question has eternal consequence of heaven or hell
3. This question can only be truly known by revelation and faith
ii. Jesus directly asked his disciples this question in Matthew 16:13-18
1. When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
2. And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
3. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
4. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
5. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
iii. Jesus Christ, the one who split history into BC & AD with His birth, a penniless carpenter, born under Roman oppression, with earthly parents of meager means, so shook history that even His enemies set their calendar by His birthday
iv. So this great question of “Who is Jesus Christ” is the foundation of all truth that Paul will begin as the cornerstone of the Gospel exposition
1. If you miss the mark on this truth, you will die in your sins
2. If you miss the mark on this question, your life is built upon the sands of uncertainty
a. 1 Corinthians 3:11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ
b. HIS SON
i. Paul’s description of Jesus Christ begins with an allusion to the mystery of the Godhead
1. 1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
2. 1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.