Summary: The way we answer the question, Who is Jesus, will dictate the direction of our lives and the destination of where we will spend eternity!
• SLIDE #1
• Christmas means many things to many people. To some it means a time for family to get together, for others it is a time to rack up the credit cards and give people gifts that we cannot afford.
• Giving gifts and visiting with family are great things to do during the Christmas season, but what is Christmas really about?
• In reality Christmas is about a child born around 6 BC to a virgin.
• This begs the question, “Who is this child?” Who is this child who came from such seemingly humble beginnings? Throughout time people have formed differing opinions of who the child was.
• Dr. Lynn Gardner in his book “Christianity Stands True.” States the following:
• The essential question is “Who is Jesus?” This question demands a personal response. Each person must answer. It is an all-important question. How a person answers will determine his purpose in life and decide his eternal destiny. It is the most important question any person will ever answer.
• The way you answer the question of the identity of that child who was born in a manger is the most important question you will ever answer in your life. Your eternity is at stake!
• Some say that He was a good teacher.
• Some say he was the illegitimate son of Mary and a Roman soldier.
• Some say that he is one of many paths to heaven.
• At the time of this birth, little did people know that the birth of this one child would change the very fabric of the world forever!
• Jesus never went to college, got married, owned a house; yet look at how the world changed because of Him!
• Who is this child? Where do you get your information? Almost all we know about this child comes from the Bible. Today we are going to look at the bible to see what it says concerning the question, WHO IS THIS CHILD!
• When you gather this information you have to decide if you are going to accept it or reject it and hope the bible is wrong.
• Let’s begin with looking at the names given to Jesus.
• SLIDE #2
I. The names of Jesus give us insight as to who He is.
• I want us to look at just a few names/titles given to this child throughout the bible.
• When we deal with people we learn a lot about them today more so with the titles they have been given.
• President, CEO, CFO, Governor, Senator, Pastor, Preacher, CPA. When someone has one of those titles we know what they do. We know what they are about.
• We can do the same with Jesus! In His day, your name also meant something; the name given to you had some significance more than just being named after a soap opera character.
• Let us just examine a few of the titles and names ascribed to Jesus found in scripture.
• SLIDE #3
• Isaiah 7:14 (HCSB) Therefore, the Lord Himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive, have a son, and name him Immanuel.
• Matthew 1:23 (HCSB) See, the virgin will become pregnant and give birth to a son, and they will name Him Immanuel, which is translated “God is with us.”