Summary: Want to be great? Here's the unusual formula from Jesus
The Greatest of the Kingdom Mark 9:30-37
As they walk along, Jesus tells the disciples what to expect in the coming days. He says, "The Son of Man is being handed over to the hands of men, & they will kill him; & when he is killed, on the third day he will rise again" (Mark 9:31).
Now, you might wonder, when Jesus prophesied his own crucifixion & resurrection, why the disciples didn’t stop right then & there & demand an explanation. : “Whoa, Lord! What are you talking about?”
You’d think Jesus’ pronouncement would’ve stopped them in their tracks, but no they just kept walking, as if he’d said something like, “Looks like might Rain”
So, why didn’t Jesus’ disciples pay attention when he told them of his impending passion & death? Mark says they Were Afraid To Ask, but I think there’s more to it than that.
Next verse. THEY WERE TOO WRAPPED UP IN THEIR OWN SENSE OF IMPORTANCE.
“What were you ARGUING AMONG YOURSELVES on the way?' But they were silent, for they had disputed one with another on the way about who was the greatest" (Mark 9:33-34).
The disciples missed one of the most significant moments in history because they were absorbed in their own self-importance. They wanted to know which one of them would be greatest in the kingdom of God.
What I Hope You’ll Get Out Of The Sermon Today:
• The greatest people in the kingdom of God are NOT the Rich & Powerful, But The Weak & Powerless;
• NOT The Ones With The Most Servants, But The Ones Who Serve Others The Most.
• To make his point, Jesus took a child & held her in his arms & said, "Whoever Receives One Such Little Child In My Name, Receives Me,
& Whoever Receives Me, Doesn't Receive Me,
But Him Who Sent Me" (Mark 9:37).
• GREEK word for children is MIKRONE, & it’s sometimes translated, “LITTLE ONES.”
"WHOEVER GIVES ONE OF THESE LITTLE ONES JUST A CUP OF COLD WATER TO DRINK WILL IN NO WAY LOSE HIS REWARD" Mt 10:42
• Sounds Sentimental,like Politician Kissing Babies.
• Children Usually Lumped Together With
• Women, Cattle & Sojourners. (low on food chain)
• Children Represented Epitome Of Powerlessness. No Rights , Legal Standing. Totally Dependent On Others
• Jesus Then Tells His Disciples,
"Whoever Wants To Be First Must Be Servant Of All."
• Notice That HE DOES NOT SAY
• SERVANT TO ALL, BUT SERVANT OF ALL,.
• WHOEVER WANTS TO BE FIRST
MUST BE LAST OF ALL."
• Wrestle with saying: SAVING THE BEST FOR LAST
• Being last has more to do with the OPPORTUNITY TO CHOOSE TO PUT OTHERS FIRST!
IT’S NOT WHAT WE HAVE, BUT WHO WE ARE, THAT’S PRECIOUS IN GOD’S SIGHT.
FORBES: Richest, Most Powerful in World!
Constantly Looking & Comparing …
“KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES,”
Celebrity Worship: VIPs…
WE IGNORE WHAT JESUS TAUGHT in LUKE 16
WIDOW’S MITE GREATER than RICHES of Wealthy.
GOD LOVES with an UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!
ONE LOST SHEEP MORE PRECIOUS than 99 SAFE!
REPENTANT SINNER PRAISED over SELF-RIGHTEOUS PHARISEE!
EVEN A SINGLE SPARROW!
LET this WORD INTO YOUR HEART: MT.11:28-30
Jesus says, "COME TO ME, ALL YOU WHO LABOR & ARE HEAVILY BURDENED, & I WILL GIVE YOU REST.
TAKE MY YOKE UPON YOU, & LEARN FROM ME,
FOR I AM GENTLE & LOWLY IN HEART;
& YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. FOR MY YOKE IS EASY, & MY BURDEN IS LIGHT"
In God’s Sight What’s Important Is NOT WHAT We Have To Offer – Or What We Lack –
BUT WHO WE ARE.
THAT’S MEANING OF BECOMING AS A CHILD.
A CHILD GAVE LUNCH TO JESUS FOR MANY!
SAVIOR CAME NOT AS WARRIOR, NOBILITY…
BUT BABY IN SWADDLING CLOTHES,
THE SON OF A CARPENTER!
NOT OUR STRENGTH THAT’S IMPORTANT…
BUT POWER of GOD’S SPIRIT WORKING WITHIN!
NOT OUR ABILITY, BUT OUR AVAIL+ABILITY!
OUR WILLINGNESS TO LET GOD USE US AS INSTRUMENTS OF HIS GRACE & LOVE.
ALSO MEANS TO GIVE UP YOUR STUBBORN & INDEPENDENT NATURE & TRUST GOD TO DIRECT YOUR LIFE & PROVIDE ALL YOU NEED FOR A FULL & ABUNDANT LIFE!
TO BE MORE SPECIFIC, IT MEANS,
WHEN YOU’RE FACED WITH OBSTACLES YOU CAN’T OVERCOME;
WHEN YOU ENCOUNTER PROBLEMS YOU CAN’T SOLVE;
WHEN YOU’RE GIVEN A TASK YOU CAN’T ACCOMPLISH;
WHEN YOU’RE FACED WITH A CHALLENGE GREATER THAN YOUR WISDOM OR ABILITY …
… YOU’LL LOOK TO GOD & KNOW THAT, WITH GOD, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.