Summary: God can forgive the worst of sinners
I. Hope - Zacchaeus’ desire (vs.1-4)
- Illustration of Flagstaff Flooding # 1
- It has been said “Hope means hoping when things are hopeless”.
- Hope is merely platitude when there is no need for hope
- It is only when things are truly hopeless that hope becomes a strength.
- Or it is no virtue at all
- Hope had become a real virtue in the lives of the Jews
- Zaachaeus climbed that tree to get a view of what he had hope in
II. Love - Zacchaeus’ plight (vs. 5-7)
- Illustration about love # 2
- “looking for love in all the wrong places”
- Zaachaeus was without love, a man without a country
- Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
- Love brought Zaachaeus down out of that tree
- He had none from anyone around him
- He wanted it from Jesus and got it
- Could be why Jesus picked him out of the crowd
III. Restoration - Zacchaeus’ need (vs. 8-10)
- Illustration about failures # 3
- A while back I preached on “Preparation Precedes a Blessing”
- This was no different here
- In order to be seen of Jesus Zaachaeus first had to climb that tree
- 1Jn 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.
- In order for Zaachaeus to experience the love of God Zaachaeus had to climb down out of that tree
- Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- In order for Zaachaeus to receive restoration Zaachaeus had to first repent
- Act_3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Conclusion: illustration of George Shaw # 4
- Zaachaeus sought Christ
- Zaachaeus repented from sin
- Zaachaeus loved Christ
- Jesus responded by publically claiming salvation came to his house
- Psa 91:14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
- This day for Zaachaeus was a day of salvation
- This day for Zaachaeus was a day off restoration
- This day for Zaachaeus was a day of victory
- Illustration # 5