Summary: Someone cared enough about you to push past their fears to share the gospel with you. At FCC we encourage you to love other enough to do the same for them!
• VIDEO CLIP
• SLIDE #1
• We are in the midst of our series entitled “Why Do We Do That.” If you remember the first time you walked into a church, you may have felt you entered a different world!
• Things may have seemed strange, people coming up to you telling you they were glad to see you. People reading out of a book called the Bible, a preacher preaching out of that Bible. Communion, offering, singing, the vocabulary, it was all most likely strange to you.
• Today we are going to examine the question, WHY AM I ENCOURAGED TO SHARE MY FAITH?
• Over the last couple of weeks, we have touched on the subjects of why we take up an offering and why we ask you to volunteer your time.
• The question this week is the one that for many people may be the most difficult. You may be saying, can’t we go back to the old days when you talked about money!
• The issue of sharing one’s faith with others can be scary for many reasons. One the reasons is that we are shy about it and we live in a climate in which is it not easy to share one’s faith.
• We are told that faith is a private thing that should not leave the church.
• Another reason is that we simply do not see the need. I mean, it was great that someone took the love and time to share their faith with me, but I really do not think I need to do it for others.
• Today we are going to see why we encourage you to share your faith in Jesus with others.
• The context of this section of 2 Corinthians is the Apostle Paul, explaining what drives him to do what he was doing for Jesus. This was meant to be an encouragement for us to do the same.
• SLIDE #2
• 2 Corinthians 5:14 (quickview) –16 (HCSB) — 14 For Christ’s love compels us, since we have reached this conclusion: If One died for all, then all died. 15 And He died for all so that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for the One who died for them and was raised. 16 From now on, then, we do not know anyone in a purely human way. Even if we have known Christ in a purely human way, yet now we no longer know Him in this way.
• SLIDE #3
You are encouraged to share your faith because of…
I. The heart of your calling. 14-16
• Once again we begin another section of text with the word FOR, this indicates that Paul is explaining why he does what he does, why he takes the time to proclaim and share the Word of God with others.
• Because of what he knows about Jesus, because he knows what will happen to those who do not know or reject Jesus, he does what he does.
• Ultimately, what drives Paul’s mission is Christ’s love! The phrase in verse 14 can mean his love for Jesus, or Jesus’ love for us.
• In this context, it speaks of Jesus’ love for us as the reason for Paul’s mission of sharing the gospel. I do believe Paul’s love for Jesus has something to do with it also.