Summary: The Psalmist tells us of 5 things that he's thankful for and these are things we too should put at the top of our list!
Why Be Thankful?
A. HUMOR: NOT THANKFUL
1. Grandma was babysitting her four-year-old grandson, Sean, for the first time. At the supper table she asked Sean to “Thank God for our food.” Sean said, “No! I don’t want to!”
2. “Well, at Grandma’s house, we thank God for the food before we eat.” “You can’t make me,” protested Sean.
3. Grandma said, “If we don’t pray, we don’t eat.” “Well,” Sean replied, "I would say it if you’d made mashed potatoes. How can I be thankful for a plate full of yucky stuff?”
4. Many of us aren’t too different from Sean. We’re not always thankful for what life puts on our plate. It’s not that we want to be ungrateful; it’s just that we don’t see much to be thankful for.
1 Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. 2 Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits-- 3 who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, 4 who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, 5 who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. 6 The LORD works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed. 7 He made known his ways to Moses, his deeds to the people of Israel: 8 The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. 9 He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever;10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. 11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; 12 as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. 13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him.”
1. This is Thanksgiving week when most of us have get together with family and friends, receive gifts, and eat too much food.
2. I thought this would be an appropriate time to remember all the things God has done for us.
3. We all have a lot of reasons to be thankful. Today we’re going to look at Psalm 103:1-5 and see the 5 reasons “Why Be Thankful.”
I. THANKFUL FOR FORGIVENESS
Verse 3a: “…who forgives all your sins…”
1. One day a man was hanging around his pastor’s house. He picked up a book that was on a shelf and began to read. Suddenly he shouted, “Praise God! That is totally awesome!”
2. The pastor asked, “What did you find so amazing?” The visitor replied, “This book says that in certain places the sea is 5 miles deep!”
3. “Yes, that’s right,” said the pastor. “What of it?” The visitor answered, “Why the Bible says that my sins have been cast into the depth of the sea, and if it’s that deep, I’m not afraid of their coming up again.”