Summary: My message today is not given to support any political party but to challenge this congregation to look at what the Bible says about abortion and why we must choose life over death.
Sermon: “Why choose life?"
Today is Sanctity of Human Life Sunday: Jan. 24, 2010
Thesis: My message today is not given to support any political party but to challenge this congregation to look at what the Bible says about abortion and why we must choose life over death.
As I study the Bible I have discovered that “Life is Sacred:”
God's heart aches today over the 50 million abortions done in this country according to The Alan Gutmacher Institute, a leading proponent of abortion on demand, claims that there have been more than 50 million abortions in the U.S. since Roe Vs. Wade.
God sighs at this injustice, "My thoughts are higher than your thoughts, and My ways than your ways" (Isaiah 55:9).
Handout to Congregation to fill in:
All human life is sacred - outline (Adapted from focus on the family)
I. Life is sacred . . . because God made it.
A. Life was and is created by God.
1. Psalm 139:13-16: 13For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.14I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.15My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
2. Ecclesiastes 11:5: 5As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things.
3. “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” — Genesis 1:27
4. “For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.” — Colossians 1:16
B. Life is protected by God.
1. “You gave me life and showed me kindness, and in your providence watched over my spirit.” — Job 10:12
2. “For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways” — Psalms 91:11
C. Life is valued by God.
1. Behold I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands. — Isaiah 49:16
2. I have loved you with an everlasting love. — Jeremiah 31:3
3. Before I formed you in the womb I knew you. — Jeremiah 1:5
4. I am come that they might have life and have it to the full. — John 10:10
Video Illustrations from Focus on the family – ultrasounds – 3 of them. These three clips show why we are to choose life – that fetus is not a mass of tissue but a very young baby!
I have a dream that this nation will choose life over death:
I am happy to present to you this day, a Pro-life message and a vision for tomorrow. Let us remember that 37 years ago a luminous cloud of darkness descended on our great nation.
We today, face the tragic fact that approximately 50 million babies have been slain by this dark luminous cloud of death. The unborn child lays mangled and lifeless in the waste basket of a clinic. The nation rolls on in its selfish quest but heaven anguishes and cries out in pain, "Stop the insanity".
America refuses to believe that a commandment has been broken. America refuses to believe that an injustice has occurred and that a life lies motionless.
America refuses to acknowledge its own Declaration of Independence which states, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
America refuses to hear the words of a former President, "Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just for His justice cannot sleep forever."
I am here today at this hallowed place to remind America of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in apathy.
Now is the time to open the doors of opportunity to all God's children. Now is the time to cast off this cloud of darkness and death. Now is the time to join hands across America and repent and cry out to God for mercy. Now is the time to gather together in brotherhood and stand on the solid rock.
It would be fatal for this nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the justice of the Lord God Almighty.