Summary: Why did Jesus die.If He is not the Son of God, then He died for no reason.
• SLIDE #1
• Over the last two weeks we have looked at the fact that Jesus is the Son of God and then we found out that He is the only way to God.
• If Jesus is the son of God and He is he only way to get to God, then what?
• This week we are going answer the question, “Why Did Jesus Die?”
• When I hear stats from TV that say 80% of Americans consider themselves Christians, I have to wonder why this country is not an even better place. 80% of 260 million people makes for a lot of good influence going around.
• As I watched the movie, “The Passion of The Christ”; it helped me to understand some of the price that was paid for my salvation. For me it helped me to realize the importance of the difference Jesus should make in my life. When you watched the Passion, did you wonder why God allowed that to happen to Jesus? Did it seem pointless to you? Did you come away with a renewed passion for Jesus in your life?
• I believe we lose our passion because we forget the sacrifice that was made.
• The text we will look at is one of those heart and soul passages from the bible. In this passage the Apostle Paul explains the true meaning of the life and death of Jesus.
• I hope today’s message will get though to us in a way that will inspire us to make some changes in our lives.
• Let us begin with verse 14-16 as we seek the answer the first question concerning the reason Jesus died.
• SLIDE #2
• 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 (quickview) (ESV) 14For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; 15and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.
• SLIDE #3
I. WHO DID JESUS DIE FOR? (14-15)
• Did Jesus die for just a few people? Did He only die for those who live in the United States? NO!
• In verses 14, 15 we are told that Jesus died for all. Jesus died for everyone. The original reads that Jesus died instead of, in the place of, on behalf of, or for the benefit of, everyone.
• SLIDE #4
• I do not know if you understand that no matter who you are, what you have or are doing right now, Jesus died for you; He died in your place, for your benefit.
• I said last week that many of the false religions do nothing but take, Jesus gives, He gave His life for you!
• SLIDE #5
• Jesus did not just die for nice people, He died for all. He did not wait until we were clean before He did it.
• SLIDE #6