Summary: Why did Jesus die.If He is not the Son of God, then He died for no reason.
• SLIDE #1
• Over the last two weeks we have looked at the fact that Jesus is the Son of God and then we found out that He is the only way to God.
• If Jesus is the son of God and He is he only way to get to God, then what?
• This week we are going answer the question, “Why Did Jesus Die?”
• When I hear stats from TV that say 80% of Americans consider themselves Christians, I have to wonder why this country is not an even better place. 80% of 260 million people makes for a lot of good influence going around.
• As I watched the movie, “The Passion of The Christ”; it helped me to understand some of the price that was paid for my salvation. For me it helped me to realize the importance of the difference Jesus should make in my life. When you watched the Passion, did you wonder why God allowed that to happen to Jesus? Did it seem pointless to you? Did you come away with a renewed passion for Jesus in your life?
• I believe we lose our passion because we forget the sacrifice that was made.
• The text we will look at is one of those heart and soul passages from the bible. In this passage the Apostle Paul explains the true meaning of the life and death of Jesus.
• I hope today’s message will get though to us in a way that will inspire us to make some changes in our lives.
• Let us begin with verse 14-16 as we seek the answer the first question concerning the reason Jesus died.
• SLIDE #2
• 2 Corinthians 5:14-15(ESV) 14For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; 15and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.
• SLIDE #3
I. WHO DID JESUS DIE FOR? (14-15)
• Did Jesus die for just a few people? Did He only die for those who live in the United States? NO!
• In verses 14, 15 we are told that Jesus died for all. Jesus died for everyone. The original reads that Jesus died instead of, in the place of, on behalf of, or for the benefit of, everyone.
• This fits in well with 1 Timothy 2:3-4
• SLIDE #4
• 1 Timothy 2:3-4(ESV) 3This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
• I do not know if you understand that no matter who you are, what you have or are doing right now, Jesus died for you; He died in your place, for your benefit.
• I said last week that many of the false religions do nothing but take, Jesus gives, He gave His life for you!
• SLIDE #5
• Matthew 20:28(ESV) 28even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
• Jesus did not just die for nice people, He died for all. He did not wait until we were clean before He did it.
• SLIDE #6
• Romans 5:8(ESV) 8but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
• Jesus not only died for us, but because of His great love for us. This is the basis of the gospel message. JOHN 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
• Our God wants to have a personal relationship with you through Jesus. Jesus is the door to make that happen. I know it is hard to believe that the creator of the universe loves you that much, but He does and He has shown that through Jesus.
• Since Jesus died for all, why did He die, why didn’t God come up with another way? Remember Jesus Himself asked three times if there was another way.
• SLIDE #7
II. WHAT DID JESUS’ DEATH ACCOMPLISH? (18, 19, 21)
• The one overriding thing that Jesus death accomplished was that because of His death we can be saved! We can be with God for eternity!
• There are three things that needed to happen so salvation was possible!
• Verse 17 unlocks the one of them.
• SLIDE #8
• 2 Corinthians 5:16-17(ESV) 16From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.£ The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.