Summary: A sermon focused on how the church can better reach out to men
* New television series (I don't like)
o Sons of Anarchy
Anarchy = without government or law
* Suggesting that tough, strong, cool guys are above the law
* It's TV's version of the tough guy
o A mans, man
o Because TV often portrays the man as a
„X Lost soul
* I want to start my own new series
SONS OF THUNDER!
* In this series I want to deal primarily with:
o What happened to the men
o Why don't we see them in church
o Why do they not like church
* Women, be patient with me
* Whenever large numbers of Christians gather men are never a majority
o Crusades, conference, concerts, etc.
* Leaving the church for women to run
* Giving the church the reputation as the ladies club.
* Men have not completely left the church
* But many times its only the lifers that come
* Men who grew up in church
* Dragged by a mother
* Men who are humble
* Today's church has developed a culture that often drives men away
* Yet more than 90% of American men believe in God
* But only 35% attend church
* 5 out of 6 call themselves Christians
* But only 2 in 6 attend church
* Only 1 out of 5 women attend church with their husband.
* Why aren't they in church?
* Are men not religious?
o Men outnumber women in:
* In the Islamic world men are publicly unashamedly religious
* Of the world's great religions only Christianity has a shortage of men.
* Are men not as emotionally expressive?
o Go to a football game
o Raider Nation
* Are men not as organizationally structured?
o Sports teams
o Got car clubs
o Gym memberships
o Gun clubs
* Most of the Bible men wouldn't fit in the majority of our American churches
Elijah - call down
David - his mighty men
Peter - fight -- carried a knife
Disciples - sons of thunder (they fought with one another)
THESE WERE MEN'S MEN!
* We have made the church culture a place for women and children...
o And emasculated men
„X Barney Fifes
„X Gomer Pyles
„X Pee Wee Hermans
* But we can't do what the church is called to do without men!
* The answer is not a "man dominated' church where men are Kings and women are invisible
WHY DO MEN HATE CHURCH
(It's All about Atmosphere)
1. Culture is not Conducive to Men
„X Today's church has a culture of safety over risk
„X Stability over change
„X Preservation over expansion
„X Predictability over adventure
„X My favorite movie / Patti's favorite movie
„X When men go to movies we want things blowing up
o Cars crashing
o Guns blazing
o Bad guys dying
o Tension, fighting, language
o Heroes, villains, etc
„X Men want to kick butt -- save the world
„X When women go to movies they want
o Brilliant conversation
o Beautiful costumes
o Handsome couple
o Care, tenderness, softness
„X I think our church culture looks more like a girl movie...
„X Than a guy movie
„X It should be both
o Christianity is a wonderful relationship with Jesus
o While we kick the Devil's butt and save the world against impossible odds!