Summary: If we believe that it is the desire of God to heal us then we can benefit by knowing what makes us sick. The Church is commanded by Jesus to carry on His work of healing.
WHY DO PEOPLE GET SICK?
Lakewood COG | Pastor Jonathan Vorce | October 1, 2017
¥ Explain the difference between a Healing and a Miracle.
¥ A Miracle happens instantaneously
¥ A Healing is the rapid acceleration of Divine Health (takes a little time)
¥ Healing Wisdom
¥ Your body was not created to die, It was created to live. (Even at death the body keeps trying to live)
¥ Physicians and those in the health care profession are partnering with God in the miraculous healing of your body.
¥ When you receive a prayer for healing the recovery should begin immediately. If it does not then keep your faith in God and seek medical help. (This does not mean that you have no faith)
I. It is the desire of God for us to be healed
A. 3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
1. Sickness, disease, pain and turmoil do NOT bring glory to God
2. Healing and Deliverance brings Glory to God!
B. Psalms 91:16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation
1. I heard one minister say, “I’m gonna live until I’m satisfied!”
2. There are times in life when we face challenges that we need to be saved from. These are the times that He will “shew us His salvation”.
C. The “Gospel to the lost” is you can be saved! The “Gospel to the poor” is you don’t have to be poor no more! The “Gospel to the sick” is you can recover! Mark 16:15-20
1. V 14 - Jesus reprimanded the disciples for their unbelief and hardness of heart. How many times are we guilty of the very same things?
2. V 15 - The Word of God will work anywhere in the World if people will work it!
3. V 16 - You have to believe
4. V 17 - It’s in the “Name” (authority) of Jesus
5. V 18 - Recovery takes a little time. It’s called the “Walk of Faith”
6. V 19 - Jesus ascends into heaven to take His rightful place at the right hand of God as our intercessor. He did not leave us… He got promoted!
7. V 20 - They went forth and preached everywhere (the activity of faith) and the Lord worked with them confirming the Word with signs following. (GOD IS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO WORK WITH TODAY. HE’S LOOKING FOR WORD PEOPLE!!!
II. Why do People get Sick?
A. The Sin of Disobedience
1. Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
2. All sickness is the result of one man’s disobedience in the Garden of Eden. Explain the Garden of Eden - No pollution, no toxins, no waste, no viruses, no fear, anxiety, grumbling, complaining or fast food!
3. Genesis 2:16-17 - 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
4. In the Old Testament when they lived in disobedience to God’s laws many times the disobedience would result in sickness. (Deut 28:15-67; Lev 26:15-16; Ps 107:17-18; Micah 6:13)
B. Curses and Demonic Attacks
C. Not taking care of ourselves physically
1. Stress can kill you. Satan uses this against God’s ministers today more than anything else. Philippians 2:19-30
¥ The Apostle Paul wanted to send Timothy to the Philippian Church but there were to many who would not be loyal and were seeking things for their own benefit. - Philippians 2:20-21 For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. 21 For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's.
¥ He eventually sent Epaphroditus who had almost died because of ministry strain. - Philippians 2:30 Because for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death, not regarding his life, to supply your lack of service toward me.
2. Eating Wrong, Non-Exercise, Substance Abuse
¥ Don’t blame the devil for something you have done to yourself!
¥ In the Old Testament there were certain things that they were to not eat or wear. This is not true in the New Testament, however, God encourages us to take care of ourselves in these areas.
¥ In Hebrews 13 God’s Word encourages us to not eat meat that was offered to idols…