Summary: Why Do So Few Have Assurance of Their Salvation? - I John 5:11-13
Assurance of Salvation - To be absolutely confident that God will act on His promise to save us from hell, death, sin and destruction through the substitutionary atoning death of Jesus Christ. I know that if I were to die today I am certain that I will spend eternity in heaven based on His scriptural promises.
Illustration:There are four basic categories:
3) Those who are saved, but don’t act like it: Corinthians.
4) Those who are saved, and they act like it.
1. Why Many Have Doubts of Their Salvation many people really know God’s attributes and Character well enough too fully trusts Him. (Phil. 3:1)
2. Many people assume that their salvation is somehow based on their good works. (Eph. 2:8,9)
3. Many immature Christians have not disciplined themselves to grow in all aspects into Christ. (Eph. 4:11-15)
5. Others have failed to grow in faith and so have staggered at the promises of God through unbelief unlike Abraham. (ROM. 4:20.21 )
7. Many are still living by the flesh rather than in the Spirit. (Gal. 5: 1-21
8. Others have failed to habitually develop a spiritual discipline that allows them to be controlled By the mind of Christ rather than by the flesh desires. (ROM. 8:6-8)
10. Some Christians fail to engage in regular Christian fellowship and so grow discouraged, frustrated and introspective. (He. 10:24,25) By merely relying on our own insights we lose sight of God’s control perspectives and values. (Prove. 3:5,6)
11. Peoples’ accusations can cause us to feel guilty and ashamed for the things we have done wrong. (ROM. 8:1,2)
12. No one except Jesus Christ has ever come back from thc grave and publicly declared victory as Jesus Christ did. (I Cor. 15:57) Worldliness can dull our spiritual senses and cause us to question God. (I John 2:15 (quickview) ,16)
14 Failure to obey God in all things can cause us to feel unworthy of the Lord’s assurances as the Holy Spirit is convicting us of our sins obedience and submission to His will. (John 16:8 (quickview) )
15 Devilish forces sometimes cause us to doubt our salvation and the permanence of the love of God. (ROM. 8:37,38)
17 Christians will remain carnal and fail to grow do not evidence much of a changed life. (2 Cor. 5 :17)