Summary: Life is a test to determine our response to God.
1. Thalidomide was introduced in 1957 and over 7,000 children were born without limbs (deformity). Forty percent died.
2. Birth problems, 1,500 deaths per 100,000 births.
4. Child starved and beaten by mother’s lover.
5. Birth Hypoxia, lack of oxygen at birth leads to blindness.
8. Evil people who rape and kill children.
B. HARD QUESTIONS
1. If God has a purpose for every life, why does He allow it to end before completing God’s plan? (Death or abortion).
2. Why should innocent children suffer for others’ mistakes?
3. Why should children suffer from pain or loss when they can’t understand or learn its purpose?
4. Why not wait until a child is older to allow pain?
5. Since modern miracle medicine saves so many lives, why wasn’t it available years ago to save lives?
C. TOWARD ANSWERS
1. The answer to a baby suffering is not easy.
2. Adam and Eve were given a choice of what to eat, and they chose wrong. Thus they rejected God and His plan for them.
3. They died spiritually. “In the day thou eatest . . . surely die” (Gen. 2:17). Adam died at 937 years (Gen. 5:5).
4. Their sin resulted in a cursed world, “All creation was subjected to God’s curse” (Rom. 8:20, NLT), i.e., disease, dying, poor, etc.
5. If God did not allow evil to exist, He would have had to destroy everything, for we live in a world that is both wonderful and dangerous.
6. God rarely interrupted life on this earth. A miracle is the interruption of laws of nature for a divine purpose.
7. Life is a test to determine our response to God.
8. God runs His world by His laws. A law is an extension of God’s person and power into the universe and is the force by which He guides all things.
9. God does not sit behind a series of levers to make bad things happen to us.
10. Our parents are not at fault. Sin is the problem. “Why was this man born blind? Was it because of his own sins or his parents’ sins?” (John 9:2). Answer, “It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins, Jesus answered. ‘This happened so the power of God could be seen in him’” (John 9:3).
11. God does not cause these things; He allows them to happen, like deficit of oxygen may cause cerebral palsy.
12. God knows everything about our birth, but allows His law of natural birth to control who we become. Chromosomes control things like the color of skin, eyes, and hair. “Oh Lord, you…know everything about me” (Ps. 139:1, NLT). “You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in my mother’s womb. You saw me before I was born” (Ps. 139:15-16, NLT).
D. APPLYING THESE LESSONS
1. Some doubt God or leave the faith. “Why would God let this happen to me?”
2. Guilt. Some blame God because they feel responsible.
3. Some see it as an opportunity to glorify and serve God.
4. Sometimes to make parents stronger in their faith. “Even though you have to endure many trials for a little while . . . these trials will show that your faith is (strong) genuine . . . it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed ” (1 Peter 1:6-7, NLT).
5. Commonality with other parents to help them with their issues.
6. Congratulations to parents who face problems in the birth of their child with courage and faith and through it bring glory to God and help to others who struggle with the issue.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc. Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.
Dr. Towns' email is ELTowns@liberty.edu
Dr. Towns’ web address is www.elmertowns.com