Summary: There are some in the Body of Christ who believe that the book of Genesis is not "God-breathed". But it's a book that Lord says is critical to how we are to live as Christians.
How many of you know that there are many in the Body of Christ who do not think that Genesis is literal? Many believe it’s allegorical. Some don’t believe Genesis really happened believing that the book is a series of stories that were compiled to try and help us understand what happened in the beginning.
I was mowing the yard recently. Normally I pull up YouTube and listen to a message. But this time I felt a sensing to listening to the book of Genesis. I probably got through 40 chapters. And as I’m listening the Lord began pointing some things out and so I said Lord you know that I’m mowing the yard and not writing this stuff down. He kept talking.
When I finished and took a shower, I sat down and began to read Genesis again. So I asked a question. You know you can ask the Lord questions, right? So I asked him “Why were you showing me all of this?” And He said “Because Genesis is important.”
So we’re going to look at some things tonight that show us why Genesis is important and why the enemy of soul wants us to believe it’s allegorical.
Turn to Genesis 1.
(26) And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
(27) So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
(28) And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth [In Old English, the word “replenish” meant “to fill” not to replace. Every other place in Genesis where this Hebrew word is used it’s translated “fill”.], and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
In your outline you’re going to see a redundancy – “Why is this important?”
What we have just read describes man before his rebellion. So, why is this important? What changed after Adam’s rebellion? The sin nature was introduced. What did not change after Adam’s rebellion? Man’s authority. He still had authority even though he no longer had the life of God living in him.
Ladies and gentlemen, that is so important. We think just because we’re God’s sons and daughters that we’re the only ones who have authority in this world. The sin natured man has authority too. That is what Satan accesses to get things done in this world. He accesses man’s authority through the sin nature.
Let me tell you something. Satan has an easier time getting access to the authority of the person with a sin nature than God does gaining access to the authority of His own children!
Again, why is this important? Let’s go back to Genesis and read the first three verses.
(1) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
(2) And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
(3) And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
In Genesis 1:26-28 God created man to be exactly like Him except we don’t have deity. So when Genesis says “God said” “And God said” “And God saw” – that’s us! Because God created us to be like Him. His word came to pass. Our words are supposed to come to pass. Do you see this?
But if you believe Genesis is a myth or that it is allegorical you’ll miss who you really are ladies and gentlemen. When you speak it is supposed to come to pass. God tells us in the very first book of the Bible who we are but we often miss it.
The words of man, saved and lost, carry power and authority in this world to create. Proverbs 18:21 says “Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.” Get a hold of that ladies and gentlemen. What you speak is what you love. You are either speaking life because that’s what you love or you’re speaking death because you love it. That’s what the Bible says.
You need to make a decision. You need to decide every day to speak life because if you don’t you’ll find yourself speaking death. We’re been raised to speak death, to speak doubt, to speak unbelief. Same thing just different words.
Gen 1:21 – “And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.”