Summary: Why We should attend church services
WHY HAVE CHURCH SERVICES?
Intro:A Your question this morning may be --- " why are we having this discussion? "
1. We all know why we have church services
B. While that is probably true that we know why --- I believe that sometimes we seem to forget why we are here
2. This morning’s message is not really meant to enlighten us with new facts
(a) It is meant to bring us to remembrance of the things that we already know
(b) To help us to review our own methods and motives of worship
(c) And to allow the Lord to convict us of the changes we need to make in our lives
C. This morning I want to remind us of 7 Reasons that we have church services
I. First --- We Have Church Services Because We Are Commanded To
A. The present day church was instituted and built by Jesus Christ
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
1. Notice " I will build My church "
(a) There may be buildings that are called churches
(b) There may be congregations that meet every week and call themselves churches
(c) But unless it is owned and operated by God and Jesus Christ it isn’t a Church
B. Jesus also commanded us to attend church
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
1 This is a command --- Not a suggestion
II. This verse also gives us the second reason that we have church services --- To Exhort One Another
A. Some church members seem to have forgotten our duties to encourage one another
1. As a matter of fact --- Some have decided that their job is to discourage others
2. There is a saying --- I have heard it said several ways but I like my mothers version best " If you can’t say something nice about someone - just keep your mouth shut "
3. If you can’t encourage your brothers and sisters at least don’t discourage them
III. The third reason that we have church services is found in our scripture we read earlier --- To Serve The Lord
A. Again many Christians seem to forgotten this
1. People go to church to be entertained and refuse to go if it’s not entertaining enough
(a) Many churches have even gone into the entertainment business in order to get a crowd
2. Others go to church to get a emotional high
(a) There is certainly nothing wrong with emotion in the church
(b) But emotion should be the result of worship not the means used to get results
3. Still others go to church for the things that the church has to offer them
(a) Families choose a church (or allow their children to choose their church) by what it has to offer them
(b) Some even choose their church because they don’t have to serve
B. Some Christians have a desire to serve but allow Satan to get in the way
1. They allow the desire for worldly goods to overshadow their desire to serve God
2. They allow the actions of others, anger or hurt feelings to keep them from serving
3. They allow frustrations and disappointments to make them quit serving
4. They allow spiritual laziness and unconcern to let them say " Let someone else do it "
5. They allow Satan to convince them that they have done enough or they are doing enough
(a) We don’t retire from serving the Lord
(b) We can never do enough for the one who has done so much for us
C. Maybe we should keep this point of the lesson in mind as our nominating committee goes to work
IV. The fourth reason that we have church services is also found in the verses that we read --- For Singing, Thanksgiving, & Praise
A. We are even reminded why we should do these things " For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations. "
B. I wonder! Is the Lord pleased with your worship today
1. Is it enthusiastic, sincere, and heartfelt
(a) Or is it halfhearted, dutiful, and a result of habit
2. Are you making a joyful noise or just making a noise
3. Are you worshipping or just going through the motions
The 5th and 6th reasons for having church services are found in
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: