Summary: When you consider what Jesus offers, it’s a wonder that people arn’t queing up to obey the gospel isn’t it? But, sadly, so many wont come to Jesus. Why not? This lesson offers several reasons.
Why Isn’t Everyone A Christian?
Reasons People Won’t Obey The Gospel
“’Gold! Gold! I’ve struck gold! I’m going to be rich…rich I tell you!’ goes up the cry from an excited prospector. We must forgive his excitement, after all, he’s been digging in those hills for weeks and found nothing. Our friend may well become rich but it may take him a little longer than he anticipated. For his excited cry has reached the ears of fellow prospectors, and before you can say ‘penthouse suit at the Ritz,’ the area will be swamped with gold-diggers staking their claims.”
1. Gold is wonderful isn’t it? Everybody likes it, and everybody wants it. In the gold-rush days people would give up everything and even risk their lives to get their hands on it. Why? I suppose because it looks good and promises to transform your life and fill it with happiness.
2. Jesus, too, is wonderful isn’t He? And He, too, promises to transform a person’s life and fill it with happiness. Yet not everybody is interested in what Jesus offers? Why is that?
3. In this lesson we offer several reasons as to why so many people do not become Christians.
I. SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST TOO PROUD AND HARD-HEARTED
A. Jesus, in the parable of the sower, teaches that some will have hardened hearts (Matthew 13:3-4, 19).
"3And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow; 4And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up…19When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side." (Matthew 13:3-4, 19)
1. These are people who hear the word but “do not understand it” (Matthew 13:19). Why don’t they understand it? Because they are in bondage to sin:
"43Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it" (John 8:43-44)
"31Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 33They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? 34Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin" (John 8:31-34)
3. These are people who have been blinded by the god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:3-4), people who can’t see their need for The Great Physician (Mark 2:17; Luke 15:17; John 8:31-33); like the Pharisee who exalted himself: