Summary: Why Jesus Concentrated More on Harvest Than Maintenance Ministries - Matt 9:36-38 (Pressing on for the upward call of God in Christ Jesus)
Why Jesus Concentrated More on Harvest Than Maintenance Ministries - Matt 9:36-38
Illustration:The noted English architect Sir Christopher Wren was supervising the construction of a magnificent cathedral in London. A journalist thought it would be interesting to interview some of the workers, so he chose three and asked them this question, "What are you doing?" The first replied, "I’m cutting stone for 10 shillings a day." The next answered, "I’m putting in 10 hours a day on this job." But the third said, "I’m helping Sir Christopher Wren construct one of London’s greatest cathedrals."
1. Jesus concentrated on sending out workers into God’s harvest fields. The Lord said, "Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into His harvest fields." (Matt. 9:38) Beseech the Lord to help you focus your energies on harvesting rather than simply preserving the already existing fruit.
2. Jesus concentrated on producing a greater crop of qualitative and quantitative fruit for the expansion of God’s kingdom and righteousness. (Matt. 6:33) He said, "Seek first, His kingdom and righteousness and all these things will be added to you as well. You can tell a lot about people and their organizations by their priorities as reflected in where they spend their money, time and talents.
3. Jesus concentrated on improving His disciples’ abilities to multiply His church. Jesus said to Peter, "I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it." (Matt. 16:18) Ask the Lord for the wisdom, relationships and strength to help be a part of multiplying Christ’s church in your communities.
4. Jesus concentrated on building bridges to reached the unreached and lost souls rather than merely maintaining what fruits He had. The Lord said, "Make disciples of all nations." (Matt. 28:18-20) Ask the Lord for a greater burden and facility to reach the unreached in as many ways as possible. Perhaps, you can help show a Jesus video in your community or to the youth.
5. Jesus concentrated on looking for new opportunities to bring in the one lost sheep rather than spending all of His resources on the 99 sheep in His fold. The Lord told the disciples, "Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch." (Luke 5:4) The Lord Jesus came to seek and save those, which were lost, and so should we.
6. Jesus concentrated on taking the gospel to the hungry and those who recognized they were spiritually sick. The Lord said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." (Matt. 9:12,13) Ask the Lord to keep you focusing on the lost and the needy rather than those who are spiritually content and maintenance oriented.
7. Jesus concentrated on getting God’s approval rather than man’s empty praises. When people saw Jesus go to the house Zacchaeus, the tax collector, they said, "He has gone to be the guest of a sinner." (Luke 19:7) Ask the Lord for the courage and spiritual focus to go to where God wants you to be despite criticisms.
8. Jesus concentrated on discipling men who could reach the lost. The Lord appointed seventy-two and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town. He told them, "Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves_ Heal the sick and tell them, "The kingdom of God is near you." (Luke 10:4,9,10) Ask the Lord to help you multiply reproducers who will evangelize and disciple many thousands as a result of your training ministries.
9. Jesus concentrated on developing a diversity of leaders with diverse methodologies. The Lord was not so concerned about uniformity of methods as long as the gospel was preached and disciples were made. Jesus said, "He who is not against us is for us."
10. Jesus concentrated on getting the greatest return of God’s investments. The Lord said, "Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance." (Matt. 25:28,29) Ask the Lord to help you learn from wise spiritual investors and follow their examples.
11. Jesus concentrated on accomplishing the will of God instead of just "trying His best". Jesus said, "I have accomplished the work you have given me to do." (John 17:4) Ask the Lord to help you make disciples that will expand His kingdom and righteousness in quantity and quality for maximum results.
12. Jesus concentrated on praying for more workers for the harvest fields. Jesus said, "Ask the Lord to send forth more workers in His harvest fields." (Matt. 9:36) Spiritual productivity is not possible with devoted prayer.
13. Jesus concentrated on reaching God’s goals regardless of the rough waves. Even though many tried to hinder Jesus from going all the way to Calvary, He refused to trust man over His Father. Jesus said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of god, but the things of men." (Matt. 16:23) Ask the Lord for the boldness to confront those who are hindering the progress of God’s kingdom with greater concerns for maintenance than harvesting ministries.