Summary: Using the titanic and star wars motif to speak about the profound mystery of the love of God for the church, His bride!
Why Star Wars Is Better Than Titanic: A devotional for Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day, ah romance, some people think one of the best stories of romance in recent history is that movie Titanic. But let me tell you why star wars is better romantic story than titanic.
* The Titanic is big, but it doesn’t have hyperdrive.
* Yoda could’ve used the Force to lift Titanic out of the water. Star wars is more heroic!
* Leia is a princess, a senator, a freedom fighter, and Jedi material. Rose is just marriage bait.
* Ewoks throw better parties than either first class or steerage.
* It would be much scarier and more dramatic to get chased around the boat by a raving madman with a lightsaber as opposed to a handgun.
* Titanic is egalitarian by portraying poor people as sympathetic characters. Star Wars is egalitarian by promoting bug-eyed amphibians to Admiral.
* We know Cal is the bad guy because he sneers at the poor and treats his fiancee like property. We know Darth Vader is the bad guy ’cause he strangles people & blows up planets for fun.
· Yeah, Leo can dance, but can he fly an X-wing like Luke?
· * Rose braves icy water to rescue her man. Leia braves Jabba the Hutt and save her icy man .
* There are always enough escape pods in Star Wars.
* If Luke were handcuffed to a pipe below decks in a sinking ship, he would use the Force to get the key.
* Nothing has the same sting as "I’d rather kiss a Wookie."
* Han is frozen in carbonite and turned into a wall ornament. Leo simply freezes.
* Han Solo would’ve steered clear of that humongous iceberg! Did u see how he flew through asteroid field?
* We knew the boat was gonna sink. But who could’ve anticipated, "Luke....I am your father"?
* When Star Wars was proclaimed coolest movie of all time by half of planet earth, George Lucas did not make a fool of himself at the Oscars.
* Titanic morals: 1) gamble, 2) cheat on your husband, 3) pose nude for pictures, 4) premarital sex is OK if you’re infatuated, 5) let undesirables drown.
Star Wars morals: 1) fight evil, 2) do good, 3) respect all life even if it’s ugly and slithers, 4) rescue princess, 5) save planet.
That’s what we have in Jesus Christ our Lord. Let me expand a bit further on this. Rev.21:1-8 (NLT)
1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. 2And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a beautiful bride prepared for her husband.
3I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, "Look, the home of God is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them. 4He will remove all of their sorrows, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. For the old world and its evils are gone forever."
5And the one sitting on the throne said, "Look, I am making all things new!" And then he said to me, "Write this down, for what I tell you is trustworthy and true." 6And he also said, "It is finished! I am the Alpha and the Omega--the Beginning and the End. To all who are thirsty I will give the springs of the water of life without charge! 7All who are victorious will inherit all these blessings, and I will be their God, and they will be my children. 8But cowards who turn away from me, and unbelievers, and the corrupt, and murderers, and the immoral, and those who practice witchcraft, and idol worshipers, and all liars--their doom is in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This is the second death."