Summary: America is at the Precipice. Rather than “voter disgust” depriving us of the will to vote, it’s more crucial than ever that we get involved in our representative government.
WHY THIS ELECTION IS CRUCIAL
A. HUMOR: SAGE THEN, POLITICIAN TODAY
1. Two men who lived in a small village got into a terrible dispute that they could not resolve. So they decided to talk to the town sage (wise man).
2. The first man went to the sage’s home and told his version of what happened. When he finished, the sage said, “You’re absolutely right.”
3. The next night, the second man called on the sage and told his side of the story. The sage responded, “You’re absolutely right.”
4. Afterward, the sage’s wife scolded her husband. “Those men told you two different stories and you told them they were absolutely right. That’s impossible—they can’t both be absolutely right.”
5. The sage turned to his wife and said, “You’re absolutely right.” —David Moore in Vital Speeches of the Day
“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance” Ps. 33:12.
1. The Declaration of Independence says, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.”
2. Today I want to touch on the upcoming election because I fear that our liberties and freedoms are in jeopardy.
3. America is at the Precipice. Rather than “voter disgust” depriving us of the will to vote, it’s more crucial than ever that we get involved in our representative government.
4. Don’t let the “scorched earth” policies of both candidates cause you to withdraw your participation. I want to outline 4 reasons why it’s crucial we vote in this election.
I. AMERICA WILL LOSE HER IDENTITY
A. IDENTITY OF AMERICA
1. The America I grew up with was founded primarily by Great Britain, where a hardy individualism (instead of servitude) and a strong middle class had developed.
2. The culture put primary importance on 3 institutions: protection of the nuclear family, personal advancement by hard work, and sincere faith in God.
3. These 3 values became the bedrock of our country. The family unit transmits values to the next generation; hard work & free enterprise reward those who work harder with additional reward; faith in God & personal religion give us ethics and morals which curb criminal or morally wrong behavior which are destructive to society.
4. “It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.” Patrick Henry
5. “The religion which has introduced civil liberty is the religion of Christ and His apostles, which enjoins humility, piety, and benevolence; which acknowledges in every person a brother, or a sister, and a citizen with equal rights. This is genuine Christianity, and to this we owe our free Constitutions of Government.” Noah Webster