Summary: We have a responsibility to be in church regularly
Introduction: What is Hebrews about?
I. Because regular worship assists in building and maintaining our faith.
A. Worship must be done God’s way not ours.
- Hebrews 12:28 Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe,
B. Worship strengthens and keeps our faith.
- Hebrews 2:1 Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it.
I. Because gathering together assists in building and maintaining our faith.
A. It assists us to not forget
- Hebrews 3:13-14 But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called "today," that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have come to share in Christ,…
B. It assists us to maturity
- Hebrews 6:1 Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity,
II. Because being a servant to God in our local assembly assists in maintaining our faith.
- Heb_9:14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.
- We all have gifts given to each of us by God and they are to be used to serve Him in His local assembly.
III. Because being obedient to scripture assists in building and maintaining our faith.
- Heb 5:8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered.
- Church attendance is a clear command to put into practice which is regular fellowship and worship with other believers in a local assembly where your gifts and talents can be used to glorify God.
All of this is about entering into God’s rest. Rest…..the ability to relax and not take care of things ourselves.
- You say “It sounds like I have to do an awful lot”
- No you just need to do what God says.