Summary: Lot's of people speculate on how the world will end. Some think it will be destroyed by an asteroid, others by nuclear war, still others by .... Zombies? But they're all wrong. Find out why the 2nd Coming should be important to us as Christians.
OPEN: There are a lot of people who seem to agree that the world is going to end. They just don’t all agree on how it’s going to happen.
I visited website that reviewed several theories about how the world would end.
1. Some believe an Asteroid will destroy the earth. In 2028 (14 years from now), there’s a huge asteroid will come very close to hitting Earth. They don’t think it will… but IF it did dust from the impact and ash from the forest fires would cloud the Earth’s atmosphere for years, blocking sunlight and destroying plant life, and cause food shortages worldwide.
2. Others are convinced a worldwide Pandemic (a deadly sickness) could spread rapidly throughout the whole world and annihilate mankind. In 1918 an influenza outbreak killed more people than died in World War I, and if a deadly contagion surfaced today, it could spread even faster and infect even more people.
3. Others believe Solar Storms could destroy us. Our sun is a star and every 11 years there are storms that build up on the sun until they're unleashed in the form of electromagnetic radiation and huge balls of plasma that would shoot out from the sun. If these balls of radiation and plasma shot out in the direction of the earth, the results could be catastrophic. In 1859, a solar storm caused telegraph wires to short out in the U.S. and Europe, and in 1989, a solar storm knocked out all the power in Quebec, Canada.
4. Some believe in Global Warming. According to this theory, as critical greenhouse gases build up in the atmosphere… the Earth’s climate will become more volatile. Temperatures will rise, food will become scarce, air quality will grow increasingly worse and diseases will spread.
5. Many believe a Nuclear War (as mentioned in the sermon title) will be the end of us all. Nuclear warheads would not only cause huge explosions, but there would be years of radiation pollution throughout the atmosphere. This, in turn, would contaminate our food and water supplies, and create a “nuclear winter” across the globe.
6. But my personal favorite for how earth will be destroyed includes… Zombies.
"Ripley's Believe It Or Not" even tells us that Michigan State University has a class entitled: “Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse”.
Those are all fairly interesting theories… but they’re all wrong.
In II Peter 3:10 God tells us the world will end, and He tells us HOW it’s going to end.
“The day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.”
And 3:12 says: “That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.”
God’s description of how the World will end led many “theologians” during the Cold War to theorize that God would destroy the world with Nuclear Warheads during a final conflict between Russia and the U.S.