Summary: This series of message inspired by Kyle Idleman's book, "Not a Fan" & offers us one great thought: "Jesus didn't die to create a 'fan-base'". Amen. May God bless you as you develop this truth.
Will You Go With Jesus
A Fan or a Follower - #5 or 5
(Note: This series is inspired by Kyle Idleman’s book – “Not a Fan”)
* The Apostle Paul writes his final words to the carnal church at Corinth. In 2 Corinthians 13:5 he says, “Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith, examine yourselves. Or do you not recognize for yourselves that Jesus Christ is in you?...Unless you fail the test.”
* In high school, I hated tests! The reason was, “I was always ill-prepared.” Sad to say, but I wasted my high school years. In my 4 years, I prepared little and out of a graduating class of 82, my number was probably 81!! (Perhaps not, just a guess) However, there was one test which I could not wait to take; it was my Senior Literature final exam. All my other grades and courses were pretty good, but this was THE ONE which decided if I would graduate or spend the summer in school. The teacher graciously gave us the material to study and I, in an uncharacteristic manner studied two days for this test. I found myself actually looking forward to this test because I intended to ‘ace’ it. Well, I didn’t get 100, but did score like 98.
* My attitude about the test was driven by my preparation for the test. Paul tells us to test ourselves! And this test is ‘big-stuff’. It’s not about graduating high school (so you can spend at least 4 more years in another school) this test is about life, death, hell, heaven, and eternity. Sometimes we don’t test ourselves because we know we’re ill-prepared.
* The question before is: “Are you a fan or a follower?” Jesus gives the test and He says, “If you love me you will keep my words, you will make me first, & you will surrender to me.”
* For 3 weeks we have run around this question, so today let’s get to the bottom line and ask the BIG QUESTION? Are you a fan or a follower? Will you go with Jesus? Luke 9.
* We have just read Dr. Luke’s account of Jesus having an encounter with three different men. Each of these men represents three types of people today, all of whom would be called fans. Two men came as volunteers and one was given a called by Christ. It seems that none of the 3 went the distance with Jesus. Each man poses a question for us.
1. Will you go with Jesus ‘wherever?’ – The man volunteered, “I’ll go with you wherever” will you be so brave as to say that to Jesus? Most of us ‘control freaks’ will ask, ‘where exactly does this mean?” The answer is simply, “Wherever.” Wherever Jesus says, leads, & guides. We used to sing, “Wherever He Lead, I’ll go. Wherever He leads, I’ll go. I’ll follow my Christ who loves me so, Wherever He leads, I’ll go.” When the Lord called Abraham, He simply said, “Take you family & go to a land that I WILL (not have already) show you.”