Summary: God needs His people to be willing to work for Him.
NEHEMIAH 4:6 "WILLING WORKERS"
INTRO: Nehemiah was the cupbearer of Artaxerxes, king of Persia. * One of his close kinsman arrived from Judea, and Nehemiah was informed of the pitiful condition of Jerusalem and residents of Judea. * Upon learning of their condition, Nehemiah was much grieved,
* And at once conceived the idea of going to Jerusalem and rebuilding the walls of the city.
* This was a great task which required much hard work, but Nehemiah was willing to work,
* And he found others that were willing to work with him!
* By a united effort and a will to work, the job was finished.
(1) NEHEMIAH’S PREPARATION FOR THE GREAT TASK THAT LAY AHEAD ...
* Luke 14:28-30 "For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and ..."
* The job was bigger than he could do by himself. * It was necessary for him to find others
who would help him.
* Individuals often conceive ideas of great works that they can’t do alone.
* Then they have the responsibility of getting others interested.
* A church group of willing workers can usually put over most any project they are willing
A) Nehemiah saw the necessity of the job to be done! - 1:2-3!
* His beloved city walls were destroyed and his people were suffering afflictions & reproach.
* There was a job to be done and Nehemiah felt like he was the man for the task.
* He saw the necessity & he felt the responsibility, and that will get the job done!
* Pr. 29:18 "Where there is no vision, the people perish."
B) He took God into the task with him! * Neh. did not underestimate the job, neither did he do
the great task before prayer. * God’s people too often see the necessity of things to be done,
* and undertake them without taking God into the task with them.
* We must work with God in all our Christian endeavors! * Listen to what the Bible says:
* 1 Cor. 3:9 "For we are laborers together with God ..."
* Paul recognized the importance of working with God! * We too often work independently
of God and try to accomplish the task within ourselves.
* God is a jealous God and will not work with those who ignore Him!
* To work with Him, we have to work His way, not ours!
* God should be taken in every task as a partner! * Don’t do anything without Him!
(2) THE DIFFICULTIES OF THE UNDERTAKING * Nehemiah was a great man!
* Wise, godly and very influential, but he met opposition in his righteous endeavors.
* Something my wife told me about bars, stores and churches.
* Anyone who goes all out for God will meet many difficulties!
A) Nehemiah met the monster of fear - 2:1-2 * The very first enemy he met was fear!
* "I was sore afraid." * He was afraid of the king. * Nehemiah was about to cross the
bridge before he came to it.
* When the king understood Nehemiah’s problem, he encouraged him and helped him to
rebuild the walls! * Did you know that most of the things we fear never happen?
* Fear has defeated people more than any other monster!
* Let us rise, forget ourselves, think of others and become willing workers at the task assigned