Summary: "Winnowing the chaff" is a common expression that separates grain from chaff. It is also used to remove weevils or other pests from stored grain.
- Headlines – Historic, Behemoth, Monster, Mammoth, Massive Wind driven blizzard dumps over 3’ snow in Northeast
Ps. 1:1-3 contrast Ps. 1:4-6
What a contrast of the leafy beauty of the fruit laden tree, and the rootless, fruitless, lifeless chaff
- "Winnowing the chaff" is a common expression that separates grain from chaff. It is also used to remove weevils or other pests from stored grain.
- In its simplest form it involves throwing the mixture into the air so that the wind blows away the lighter chaff, while the heavier grains fall back down for recovery.
- VIDEO = Winnowing Out the Chaff
Remember the downward progression
“Ungodly” describes a man who occasionally is out of step with right conduct.
“Sinner” is a man whose wicked acts has become habits.
“Scorners” means the hardened, arrogant man who mocks God.
Ps 1:4 - The ungodly are described as chaff
- Without God
- The ungodly lives in the world
- They live according to their passions.
- They are righteous in their own eyes
- They may do kind and generous acts, but God’s evaluation of them is that they are without eternal merit.
- Many think that so long as they don’t do wrong it is as if they did right.
- But mere goodness will not work
Judges 5:23 (AV)
23 Curse ye Meroz, said the angel of the LORD, curse ye bitterly the inhabitants thereof; because they came not to the help of the LORD, to the help of the LORD against the mighty.
- The curse on Meroz was for not coming to the help Barak against Sisera
- They did not oppress - They just didn’t help.
- The Ungodly live without regard of God
- The Ungodly may be religious has good morals
- Life & stuff dilutes their delight & desire for Him
- Choosing self & feelings over faith
- Completely worthless paper like skin of the grain seed
A FEARFUL NEGATIVE.
- “The ungodly are not so.”
1. Ps 1:1 – They are not blessed
Ecclesiastes 1:8 (AV)
8 All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
Matthew 11:28–29 (AV)
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
- Yoke - Tied to a master
- Living forgetful careless lives
2. They Are Unbelieving
- There is no delight in patterning his life after the Word
- The Word is Jesus
John 1:14 (AV)
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, ….
John 1:10–12 (AV)
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
3. They Are Rootless
“The ungodly are not so.”
- They are not “like a TREE
- Lacking deep firm faith & desire for Christ
4. They Are Insecure
- They are not like a tree PLANTED. The faithful is so.