Summary: Part 3 in a series from Proverbs dealing with family relations.
A. God has established three human institutions in the world
1. Marriage and the home – Genesis 2:18-25
B. Of these three, the home is the most basic
1. As the home goes, so go the church and the nation.
2. Within the home, the key family elements must live to God’s standard.
3. Husbands, wives and children must live in accord in order to have a godly home.
II. Wise People in the Home
A. Wise Husbands
2. Love your wife and only your wife – Proverbs 5:15-23
a) Drink water from your own cistern (15).
b) Let your fountain be blessed and rejoice with the wife of your youth (18).
3. Be thankful for godly spouses – Proverbs 18:22, 19:14
a) He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from Lord (18:22).
b) Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers but a prudent wife is from the Lord (19:14).
4. Establishes his house on godly wisdom – Proverbs 24:3-4 “Through wisdom a house is built and by understanding it is established. By knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant.”
5. Places emphasis on instruction – Deuteronomy 6:7
B. Wise Wives
1. Faithful to husbands – Proverbs 12:4 – “An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who causes shame is like rottenness in his bones.”
2. Builder of the home – Proverbs 14:1 – “The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her hands.”
3. Discrete – Proverbs 11:22 – “As a ring of gold in a swine’s snout, so is a lovely woman who lacks discretion.”
4. Virtuous - Proverbs 31:10-31
a) Displays character – (10-12)
b) Works – (13-22)
c) Generous – (20)
d) Confident about the future – (25)
e) Teaches her children – (26)
f) Fears the Lord – (30)
C. Wise Children
1. Follow Godly Example – The first lessons are learned at home
a) Godly mothers – 31:28 (Her children rise up and call her blessed).
b) Godly fathers – 20:7 (Walks in his integrity).
c) Those who fear the Lord provide refuge for their children – 14:26 “In the fear of the Lord there is strong confidence and his children will have a place of refuge.”
2. Follow Godly Instruction
a) Hear the instruction of your father – 1:8, 6:20
b) Not listening to instruction will lead to a lack of knowledge – 19:27
c) The Bible should be the basic textbook of the home
d) Parents should instill a respect for the Lord and His word – 15:16
3. Seek the counsel of God
a) Proverbs 7:2 – “Keep my commands and live and my law as the apple of your eye.”
b) Proverbs 4:4 – “Let your heart retain my words, keep my commandments and live.”
III. Wise Discipline in the Home
A. Love must be the basis
1. Love without disciple is incomplete and discipline without love is irrelevant.
2. Love is needed and appreciated in the home – 15:17
3. Love covers all sins – 10:12
B. Discipline in a loving way
1. Parents must not be afraid to disciple
a) Proverbs 3:11-12 – “…do not despise the chastening of the Lord not detest his correction. For whom the Lord loves he corrects just as a father the son in whom he delights.”