Summary: What God wants most of all, above every thing else is you and me, all of you & me, all of the time!
Wise Men Still Seek Him Today
Matthew 2:1-12 NKJ
1. Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem,
2. saying, Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.
3. When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
4. And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born.
5. So they said to him, In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it is written by the prophet:
6. But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
Are not the least among the rulers of Judah;
For out of you shall come a Ruler
Who will shepherd My people Israel.
7. Then Herod, when he had secretly called the wise men, determined from them what time the star appeared.
8. And he sent them to Bethlehem and said, Go and search carefully for the young Child, and when you have found Him, bring back word to me, that I may come and worship Him also.
9. When they heard the king, they departed; and behold, the star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was.
10. When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.
11. And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
12. Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed for their own country another way.
The story of the wise men is a fabulous story, a story of adventure, a story of intrigue, a story with a villain and an alternative plot in it,
Which involved the most sought out subject of all time, and it is one that is shrouded in somewhat of mystery.
They seemed to just show up mysteriously and just as mysteriously they are gone, never to be heard of again.
Not even a future reference of someone claiming to be related, or a long lost relative, trying to claim their fifteen minutes of fame.
But one thing we can be certain about is that, the number of wise men and women grows, and are still being found today, as people continue to seek the Christ.
Lets look at three things, that we can learn from the story of the wise men.
1. A wise mans journey is one of FAITH.
"Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East.
What would prompt someone to leave the comfort of their homes to go on a dangerous journey?
Romance? Yes Love, has inspired many great journeys.
Wealth? Most definitely wealth has caused many men and women, to cross the great divide in search of fame and fortune.
What about faith? Yes faith in God, has inspired the impossible to become possible many times,
In Hebrews chapter 11, the bible tells us over and over what faith is capable of.
The Wise men said; Where is He who has been born the King of the Jews?
What a probing, confident question there is no doubt by the authority in their question, they knew that He had been born,
They had seen the star, the evidence was real, they were ready to worship Him!
They had faith that He had been born, that He existed, their purpose, their quest, was to find Him.
And so they were willing to risk everything to find Him.
They were willing to leave everything they knew, to risk it all, to seek a King.
Can you imagine what their friends and neighbors thought?
So, your going on a journey huh? Yes.
Where are you going? We dont know for sure.
How far is it? Well we dont know that either.
How long are you going to be gone and who is financing this adventure?
We dont know for sure and we are paying our own way, "well, if you ask me, it Sounds more like mission impossible,"
there are always going to be naysayers,
Not everybody can go on the journey, to where God calls you to go,
The same type of crowd, probably said the same things about Abraham when he parted ways with Lot, his nephew,
And took the less attractive real estate that his nephew wasnt interested in, and prospered greatly, in spite of his surroundings! Praise God!