Summary: Exposition of Psalm 130 (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
(1). From death to life (vs 1-2).
(2). From guilt to forgiveness (vs 3-4).
(3). From darkness to light (vs 5-6)
(4). From slavery to freedom (vs 7-8)
• A family were having a weekend in Paris;
• And the Father decided he would take his little boy to the Louvre Museum.
• He wanted him to see the ‘Mona Lisa’ the most famous picture in the world!
• (8 million people go to see it every year!)
• As you can imagine the little boy was not too impressed and kept asking;
• “Dad can’t we go somewhere else?”
• Each time he moaned his dad would enthusiastically reply:
• “No son, I want you to see the world’s most famous picture.
• When they arrived at the museum;
• To the little boys horror there were long queues of people that seem to go on forever
• Worse was to follow for the little boy because as they joined the end of the queue;
• They kept encountering signs that said 45mins to go, 30 mins to go etc.
• Eventually it was there turn to stand in front of the ‘Mona Lisa’;
• Proudly the dad said, “There it is son, the world’s most famous picture!”
• The little boy look at the woman in the picture and said:
• “That is the ugliest woman I have ever seen! Can we go to McDonalds now!”
• To the dad that picture was important, it was significant, it was a must see!
• To his son it was insignificant, unimportant and totally no relevant.
• Many people view the message of the Bible like that;
• There are those who say: “This is important, it is significant, it is a must know!”
• And there are others who say; “So what!” They cannot see the relevance of it.
When it comes to the subject of forgiveness:
• The Bible teaches this is an essential and not an optional extra;
• Forgiveness of sin is needed if we are ever going to know God;
• That is develop a relationship with him.
• And forgiveness is continually needed;
• If we are to deepen that relationship with God.
• So forgiveness is an essential and not an optional extra;
• If our greatest need had been information, God would have sent us an educator.
• If your greatest need had been technology, God would have sent us a scientist.
• If our greatest need had been money, God would have sent us an economist.
• If our greatest need had been pleasure, God would have sent us an entertainer.
• But because our greatest need was and is forgiveness, so God sent us a Saviour.
This Psalm (130) reminds us that:
• With God there is forgiveness! There is pardon, there is amnesty!
• And as we will see - that forgiveness is a gift given to us in the person of Jesus Christ!
• The Psalm has a title ‘Psalms of Ascent’;
• This title gives us a setting for this Psalm, it is part of a collection.
• There are a group of Psalms/songs, numbers 120 to 134;
• That were used by Jewish worshippers in their adoration of God.
• They are called the ‘Psalms of Ascent’.
• The word ‘Ascent’ simply means “on their way up”,
• So as these people were “on their way up” to Jerusalem,
• As they walking up the hillsides which led to the city.
• They sang this collection of Psalms.
• Because these Psalms/songs are short they would have been easy to remember.
• Just about every type of psalm is represented.
• There are psalms of thanksgiving and praise,
• Lament and confidence, confession and wisdom.
• This Psalm (130) is a penitential Psalm;
• It is the prayer of a person who is penitent;
• That is someone who feels regret and is concerned over his sins.
• Note: The Psalm actually divides up into four visual pictures;
• Four familiar situations that we can easily understand.
(1). From death to life (vs 1-2).
“Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD;
2 O Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.
• The psalmist describes a picture of someone drowning;
• This person is unable to touch the bottom the water below him is too deep;
• He is unable to swim to the shore and therefore find safety,
• He is drowning, he is in immense trouble;
• And unless help comes quickly he will surely die!
• Might surprise you to know that I am a trained lifeguard!
• I have the suntan and the swimming trunks,