Summary: This is the second sermon on the words of Jesus on the cross. This is a salvation message.
Title Words From the Cross # 2
Sub Title: Salvation
It is no mistake that Christ died in the manner that he did.
A. It is not a salvation of coincidence or chance.
God has left nothing to chance or coincidence, not the two thieves dying next to him and not even the fact that you are here today to hear this message.
B. It is a salvation of completeness.
Believing “in” is a HEAD KNOWLEDGE, that he existed, that he was a teacher or a holy man or prophet.
Believing “on” is a HEART KNOWLEDGE, placing one’s faith upon who he is, what he has done.
“Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
1. Destroys the idea of salvation by works– (no baptism, no communion)
2. Destroys the idea of universal salvation- (spoke only to one thief)
5. Destroys the idea of purgatory- no mention of a between state, (today)
l. THE CROSS OF REDEMPTION.
A. This cross provides reconciliation.
B. This cross provides a relationship with God.
ll. THE CROSS OF REJECTION.
1. Rebuke by his rival
2. Rebuke for lack of reverence
3. Rebuke of retribution
4. Rebuke for the failure to recognize Christ
5. Rebuke for the refusal of Christ’s lordship
lll. THE CROSSS OF RECEPTION.
A. This thief made a request.
B. This thief was remembered.
What side of the cross are you on?