Summary: This is the second sermon on the words of Jesus on the cross. This is a salvation message.
Text: Luke 23:39- 43
Title Words From the Cross # 2
Sub Title: Salvation
It is no mistake that Christ died in the manner that he did.
A. It is not a salvation of coincidence or chance.
Isaiah 53:12 Mark 8:31 Luke 19:10
Revelation 5:6 Galatians 4:4 John 8:38
John 5:30 John 3:16
2 Peter 3:9 Acts 10:38
God has left nothing to chance or coincidence, not the two thieves dying next to him and not even the fact that you are here today to hear this message.
B. It is a salvation of completeness.
Acts 16:31 “Believe on” not just believe in.
Believing “in” is a HEAD KNOWLEDGE, that he existed, that he was a teacher or a holy man or prophet.
Believing “on” is a HEART KNOWLEDGE, placing one’s faith upon who he is, what he has done.
“Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
1. Destroys the idea of salvation by works– (no baptism, no communion)
2. Destroys the idea of universal salvation- (spoke only to one thief)
3. Destroys the idea of a select few being saved- (this thief was one of the “who so ever wills”) Revelation 22:17
4. Destroys the idea of soul sleep- (Today you will be with me in paradise) Luke 16: 22, 23; 2 Corinthians 5:6
5. Destroys the idea of purgatory- no mention of a between state, (today)
Hebrew 7:25 Colossians 2:10
l. THE CROSS OF REDEMPTION.
Isaiah 59:2 Genesis 3:24
Exodus 19:12, 13 Joshua 3:4
1 Chronicles 13:9 Romans 5:12
A. This cross provides reconciliation.
Ephesians 2:13 Isaiah 53:5, 6
B. This cross provides a relationship with God.
Ephesians 2:19 1 Peter 2:10 Galatians 4:4, 5
Matthew 28:20 Hebrews 13:5 Matthew 6:8
ll. THE CROSS OF REJECTION.
A. This is a cross of ridicule. Luke 23:39
Notice same wording use of Satan, Matthew 4:3, 6
1 Corinthians 1:23
B. This is a cross of rebuke. Luke 23:40
1. Rebuke by his rival
2. Rebuke for lack of reverence
3. Rebuke of retribution
4. Rebuke for the failure to recognize Christ
5. Rebuke for the refusal of Christ’s lordship
lll. THE CROSSS OF RECEPTION.
A. This thief made a request.
Psalm 50:12 Psalm 91:15 John 6:37
B. This thief was remembered.
Hebrews 6:10 Isaiah 49:16
What side of the cross are you on?