Summary: Message concerning the importance of REAL WORSHIP.
“WORSHIP AND ITS IMPORTANCE” Exodus 34:5-8
Introduction: Some Christians seem to experience a much closer intimacy with God than others. Why is this? We are all saved, washed in the blood, our names written down in the Lamb’s book of life. Yet we still seem to experience different levels of closeness.
Are there things we can learn that will help us to know God in a more personal way? Both Scripture and experience teach us that it is us, not God, who determines the degree of intimacy with Him.
There is an old saying, “We have all of God that we need, and God needs to have all of us.” We are at this moment as close to God as we really choose to be. One way that helps us know God in a more intimate way is through worship.
I. ASPECTS OF WORSHIP
A. In the Old English form, “Worth ship” provides an interesting light on the meaning of worship. It implies worthiness on the part of the one who receives it.
B. We worship because He is “Worthy.” Worship is a matter of the heart’s inner relationship expressed outwardly. Man is essentially a worshipping being.
1. Moses climbed up Mt. Sinai at the Lord’s command. When Moses was obedient, then the Lord met him on the mountain. Moses couldn’t help but see how worthy He was to be praised, notice verses 6-8. When Moses recognized God’s worthiness, He worshipped.
2. Our church services should remind people that He is worthy. They they get a personal glimpse of His worth ship, they too will worship. Worship means to prostrate oneself, to bow down out of respect. To show respect and reverence. We Worship Him because He is worthy of Worship.
II. ASPIRATION FOR FOR WORSHIP
A. It has been said that our worship services are often ill-prepared, mechanical and dull. Our Public Worship is a ritual without power, religion without God. God is a person and our relationship with Him should be personal. We should never look on worship as a means of winning His favor so He will give us something.
B. We then make attempt to make God our Servant instead of recognizing Him as Lord. Worship then becomes a cheap formula for selfish gratification. Ironically, when we worship unselfishly, He transforms our lives.
C. Every Christian is either a CONFORMER or a TRANSFORMER. We are either fashioned by Pressure without or TRANSFORMED by the Power within.
1. Transformers live by the Power within.
2. Conformers live by the pressure without.
3. Worship allows the power of God to work in us. John 4:23, 24 “The Father seeketh such to Worship Him.
III. ACT OF WORSHIP
F. PERSONAL STUDY OF HIS WORD
IV. AIDS TO WORSHIP
A. The Scriptures-John 5:39
B. The Spirit-John 16:13
Conclusion: What about you? Have you seen His worth ship? Are you ready to bow and worship Him for who He is and not for what He will do for you?
True Worship transforms our lives.
True worship allows resisting the pressures from without
True worship allows serving faithfully.
Will you come and Worship Him?