Summary: Parallels but not just a rehash of Rick Warren’s Purpose Driven Life, the LAST 5 chapters. When it comes to reaching people for Christ, God’s plan is YOU. There is no Plan B.
You Are Plan A. There is No Plan B
1. God’s plans are often beautiful in their simplicity.
2. And we are part of that plan.
3. If you or I were to win one person to Christ, and then each of us won one person to Christ every year, and those folks won one a year, the number of believers would keep doubling as follows: (SEE CHART….33 years, over 8 billion)
4.We will never win all or most people to the Lord because many people have no desire to come to know the true God, but SOME do, perhaps more than you REALIZE.
Revelation 7:9 describes the number of the Redeemed, “After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.”
Main Idea: When it comes to reaching people for Christ, God’s plan is YOU. There is no Plan B.
I. You Are WITNESSES to the Grace of God
Acts 1:8, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
1. Authentic, not a SHOW; people DISLIKE near perfect people
• When the Port Authority in New York and New Jersey ran a help-wanted advertisement for electricians with expertise at using Sontag connectors, they received 170 responses – even though there is no such thing as a Sontag connector. The Authority ran the ad to find out how many applicants falsify resumes in order to get a job. James Emery White, You Can Experience an Authentic Life (Nashville: Word Publishing, 2000), 126-127, submitted by Joel Smith at Sermoncentral.
• There are enough phonies out there; we do not need to add to their number
• “You don’t have to be perfect, just authentic.”
2. You don’t reach people by INIMIDATING or CONDEMNING them
• Ditch the ain’t it awful syndrome; that makes it sound like God has left
• Trash Scolding; don’t scold people for not coming to church, not knowing their Bibles; many people do not even know the Christmas story anymore….
• Scolding is very non-motivational; people avoid scolders; I do
• So let me scold you scolders…oops, there went authenticity!
3. You don’t reach people by POLICING them
• If people at work stop swearing around you because they know you’re a Christian, that’s nice for you….but it does zero to bring them closer to the Kingdom of God
• Our goal as Christians is not to get lost people to act like believers, but to see them become believers; now as Americans and human beings we want them to behave in decent and civil ways for the sake of our society and out of love for them, but that is nor really our main calling as Christians…
4. Sometime, you need to share Gospel CONTENT, or
5. Bring them WHERE they will hear content
• What do we mean by “content?” You have a bulletin insert that exemplifies Gospel content
• The Gospel is primarily the Good News about how the Son of God became a man to die on the cross for our sins and how He rose again…