Summary: The Gospel of Jesus Christ is GOOD NEWS.
1. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is GOOD NEWS.
a. It’s not glum news. It’s not ho hum news.
b. It’s GOOD. It’s GREAT! It’s WONDERFUL. It’s AWESOME!
c. The Gospel of Jesus Christ releases a man from the burden of sin. It removes from us the penalties of sin!
NOW, today, right here, in Jesus Christ, a person can have a life of abundance, a life that pleases God.
• We can have the power through His Holy Spirit to obey Him.
SO that now anyone who hears the good news of Jesus Christ, and places their faith in Him… will be saved!
John 3 (quickview) .16-17 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
With that in mind Peter continues in v12…
I. (1:12-15) REMEMBER THESE TRUTHS
1. (12-15) Peter the good teacher
a. As any good teacher would do, Peter uses repetition to make sure we get his point.
b. He says he will remind us always of these things.
c. He says he will stir us up by way of reminder.
d. He says that even as he’s ready to die, he will be careful that we always have a reminder of these things!
NOTE: I Know You know this stuff, Peter says, but I want you to understand it, remember it live it, and pass it on.
APP: Moms… Dads… Teachers… Leaders… anyone who wants to be used in service, this is a very important point…
• The key to ministry is continually reminding folks of things that they already know.
• The FAITH is not that tough. There aren’t that many hard doctrines to tackle.
• It’s really just a simplicity that needs to be repeated!
Dr. Karl Barth was one of the most brilliant Christian intellectuals of the twentieth century. He wrote volume after massive volume on the meaning of life and faith. A reporter once asked Dr. Barth if he could summarize what he had said in all those volumes. Dr. Barth thought for a moment and then said: "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so."
Because our minds are so carnal…
• We forget the things we should remember…
• And remember the things we wish to forget!
• So then it’s important to say the same things over & over & over again until those we’re teaching are established in them.
WORD ‘ESTABLISHED’ in v12 is literally… ‘to make stable, to place firmly, to make constant.’
• It reminds me that Jesus doesn’t want me to be wishy washy!
• He’s there to establish me in the faith, firmly fixed.
II. (1:16-21) RELY ON THESE TRUTHS
1. (16) Eyewitnesses!
a. The ministry of Peter and the other apostles was under attack by many false teachers.
b. They came saying that it was all a bunch of fairy tales.
c. Jesus isn’t coming again, it’s not true.
d. But Peter says…
I DON’T NEED TO follow any fables, I was WITH HIM!