Summary: God’s work is primarily about God, secondarily about us.
You Feel Inadequate Because You Are
1. Thu Feb 26, AP
DENVER – A good Samaritan who helped push three people out of the path of a pickup truck before being struck and injured has gotten a strange reward for his good deed: A jaywalking ticket.
Family members said 58-year-old bus driver Jim Moffett and another man were helping two elderly women cross a busy Denver street in a snowstorm when he was hit Friday night.
Moffett suffered bleeding in the brain, broken bones, a dislocated shoulder and a possible ruptured spleen. He was in serious but stable condition Wednesday.
The Colorado State Patrol issued the citation. Trooper Ryan Sullivan said that despite Moffett’s intentions, jaywalking contributed to the accident.
Moffett had been driving his bus when the two women got off. In the interest of safety, he got out and, together with another passenger, helped the ladies cross.
Moffett’s stepson, Ken McDonald, said the driver of the pickup plowed into his stepfather, but not before Moffett pushed the two women out of the way.
When he awoke in intensive care, he learned of the ticket. "His reaction was dazed and confused. I was a little angry," said McDonald.
The other man also was cited for jaywalking, while the pickup driver was cited with careless driving that led to injury. Sullivan said the two elderly women haven’t been cited but the investigation is ongoing.
2. And we thought the police were rigid in Sharpsville!
3. Ticketed or not, Jim Moffett is a hero because he was concerned about others.
4. Today we are going to begin a series in the Book of Jeremiah, the weeping prophet. He wept because He cared about others, and God showed him the disasters that would come to his people.
5.Rather than give you all the details of Jeremiah’s life in one sermon, I will introduce him to you in phases. Jeremiah, like all of us, entered God’s program mid-stream. We picked up where others left off and others will pick up where we leave off.
7. Jeremiah took the baton from the prophets who went before him, including the prophet Zephaniah and the prophetess Hulda (2 Kings 22:14-20 (quickview) ). They predicted the destruction of Jerusalem shortly after the time of Josiah, and Jeremiah began with the end of Josiah’s reign.
8. To be used of God, Jeremiah had to learn a lesson, the lesson of chapter one.
Main Idea: God’s work is primarily about God, secondarily about us.
I. God Uses Mere MORTALS (1-3)
A. Jeremiah from a PRIESTLY family (1a)
But priests were common, and the average priest served at the Temple for only 2 weeks out of the year. His branch of the priestly family had fallen into disfavor, so he did not have a lot of clout or influence.
B. From a RURAL village (1b)
Anathoth was about 3 miles north of Jerusalem, just across the border from Judah in the region of Benjamin. It was about an hour walk to the city, and the walls of Jerusalem could be seen from Anathoth.
C. During Judah’s DARK Days (2-3)
But God’s Word came to a young man who was not particularly special, as far as society goes. And the Word came during dark times, just before the destruction of Jerusalem.