Summary: One can see from these examples of binding and loosing that it means more than declaring something lawful or unlawful by preaching. It also means to confirm the truth by power as Christ and the apostles did.
You Hold the Key
"I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever
thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou
shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
-- (Matthew 16:19)
a [thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven] Not to Peter only, for the same power is promised all believers (Matthew 17:20; Matthew 18:18; Matthew 21:22; Mark 9:23; Mark 11:22-24; Mark 16:15-20; Luke 10:19; John 14:12-15; John 15:7,16; Acts 1:4-8; Acts 2:38-39; Acts 5:32; 1 Cor. 12).
b [keys of the kingdom of heaven] Keys are a symbol of authority (Isaiah 22:22; Rev. 3:7). Here they mean authority and power to do the works of Christ (Matthew 18:18; Matthew 16:15-20; John 14:12-15). Whatever He bound and loosed is the true idea.
c [bind on earth shall be bound in heaven]
2. Tares in bundles (Matthew 13:30)
3. Men by Satan’s power (Luke 13:16)
4. Men with obligations (Acts 20:22)
5. Men in marriage bonds (Romans 7:2; 1 Cor. 7:27,39)
6. Satan and angels in chains (Rev. 9:14; Rev. 20:2)
7. Animals in chains (Matthew 21:2)
d [loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven]
2. Satan and angels from chains (Rev. 9:14; Rev. 20:3,7)
4. Men from sin (Rev. 1:5)
5. Men from bonds of death (Acts 2:24)
6. Marriage bonds (1 Cor. 7:27)
7. Satanic powers (1 John 3:8)
8. Animals (Mark 11:2-4)
One can see from these examples of binding and loosing that it means more than declaring something lawful or unlawful by preaching. It also means to confirm the truth by power as Christ and the apostles did. See Matthew 18:18, refs.
The Greek text of that scripture would literally read, "I give you the
keys of the kingdom. Whatever you declare locked on earth is locked in
heaven and whatever you declare unlocked on earth is unlocked in the
The heaven Jesus was talking about there isn’t the heaven where God
resides. He was talking about the battle zone, about the heaven where
Satan’s forces are operating.
He was telling us that God has given us power to bind the wicked spirits
in heavenly places and to loose the angelic powers of God to work in our
Philippians 2:9-10 says, "We have been given a Name which is above every
name, and at the Name of Jesus every knee shall bow!" Where? In heaven,
in earth and under the earth. That covers it all!
a [hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name] Seven steps in His exaltation:
1. God highly exalted Him (Phil. 2:9; Ephes. 1:21).
2. God gave Him a name above all (Phil. 2:9).
3. At the mere mention of His name, every knee must bow (Phil. 2:10).
4. Everything in heaven must bow (Phil. 2:10).
5. Everything in earth must bow (Phil. 2:10).