Summary: There is a place where we can hang our burdens, our shame and our sins!
PSALM 69:1-5 "YOU’RE INVITED TO A HANGING"
* We’ve received all sorts of invitations. * Invitations to weddings, receptions, and showers.
* We have been invited to parties, banquets, picnics and barbecues.
* Jesus frequently issued invitations! * Matt.11:28 "Come unto me all ye that labor ....... "
* In Mt.14:28-29 when Jesus walked on the water, Peter said, "If it be thou, bid me come ..."
* And Jesus said, "Come." * In Mk.6:31 Jesus said to His weary disciples;
* "Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while."
* In Jn.21:12 after the resurrection, Jesus prepared fish for the disciples and said, "Come and
dine." * Rev.22:17 "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth ......."
* But perhaps the greatest invitation of all will be when we hear the King say to those on His
right hand, "Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared ......." Mt.25:34
* Today, I want to tell you, "You’re invited to a hanging!"
(1) COME, HANG YOUR BURDENS ON THE CROSS - V.1-4
* David has expressed the cry of a burdened heart! * Consider his burden:
A) He feels that he is about to be overwhelmed; * He is depressed and weary from his weeping,
* He faces injustice and enemies, who are too many and too powerful for him.
B) Have you ever felt like that? * Have you ever felt like the weight of the whole world rested
on your shoulders? * That the burdens of life would grind you into the dust, mercilessly?
* You might be interested in knowing that this is a Psalm that looked ahead prophetically to the
sufferings, injustices, and sorrows Jesus would experience 1,000 years later!
* Jesus Himself would endure such burdens! * Maybe you labor under the heaviness of:
C) Fear and Anxiety! * The violence of our society, the corruption in our systems,
* failing health, the hype about computer crashes in the year 2000 have you confused.
D) Doubt and Uncertainty! * Does God really love you? * Can He really make a difference
in your life? * Can He accept you as you are and transform you?
E) Pain and Anguish! * It hurts just to roll out of bed! * Each step you take is a marathon,
* Climbing a porch is like climbing Mount Everest!
F) Burdened heart, there is help! * Matt.6: 31-33 "Therefore take no thought, saying ......."
* Matt.11:28 "Come unto me all ye ......." * Jn.14:1 "Let not your heart be ......."
* 1 Pt.5:6-7 "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may ......."
* Isaac Watts penned these words; let’s sing them together: "At the cross, at the cross,
* Where I first saw the light, And the burden of my heart rolled away. It was there ......."
G) You’re invited to a hanging! * COME! * Hang your burdens on the cross!
* But there may be something else that needs crucifying in your life:
(2) COME, HANG YOUR SHAME ON THE CROSS - V.5
* David knew of his own folly and knew that God was also aware of it!
* He could recall many foolish things he had done of which he was ashamed!
* And he had much of which to be ashamed:
A) As a father, David was no model and turned his own sons away from him through neglect!