The problem is we are so accustomed to sin we do not recognize it's gravity.
I once read the news account of the two Lake Worth, Florida, high school boys. They were suspended from school because they ate so much garlic that no one could stand to have them around. They had read that garlic has properties for cleansing blood and lowering blood pressure. So they each ate half a head of garlic. The next morning for breakfast both students consumed three or four more heads of garlic. When the teachers and students complained about their odor, the boys simply laughed and went on eating garlic. When confronted by school officials, one of the boys stated that it couldn't be all that bad because, "We're blowing in each other's face, and we couldn't smell garlic." They were so accustomed to the garlic, they were desensitized to the smell.
Similarly, we become so accustomed to a world and a heart of sin, that we fail to grasp the depth, the stench, of our sin.
Related Text Illustrations
Contributed by Rob Clifton on May 23, 2001
There used to be a show on cable television called, "Tales from the Darkside." The title sounds a little more sinister than the series really was, because I’m not one to watch scary movies and such. It was more like the old show, "The Twilight Zone." In one episode, there was an old man ...read more
Contributed by Paul Fritz on Jul 16, 2002
The flesh is a built-in law of failure, making it impossible for the natural man to please or serve God. It is a compulsive inner force inherited from man’s fall, which expresses itself in general and specific rebellion against God and His righteousness. The flesh can never be reformed or improved. ...read more
Contributed by Clark Tanner on Oct 18, 2002
DEAD IN UNRIGHTEOUSNESS Several years ago a movie came out called “Death Becomes Her”. I don’t recommend it. It was dark humor at best, but the few funny parts weren’t worth the cost of the movie rental; much less, a theatre ticket. But the basic premise of the movie turns out to be a ...read more
Contributed by Dan Cormie on Jul 28, 2003
A man purchased a white mouse to use as food for his pet snake. He dropped the unsuspecting mouse into the snake’s glass cage, where the snake was sleeping in a bed of sawdust. The tiny mouse had a serious problem on his hands. At any moment he could be swallowed alive. Obviously, the mouse needed ...read more