1. They were constantly on the move, sort of like carnival workers.
2. They were often accused of being thieves, corrupt.
3. They “lived” out in the fields (check out verse 8), they were just there, they lived there (picture them as the kind of person that eyed sheep all day, then just laid down in the dirt and slept on a rock).
4. If there was a sleep pen, they slept in it with the sheep (in a way, they were no better than the sheep, they were the lowliest of occupations, they watched animals & shoveled their feces).
5. They had a lot of contact with sheep, but no real contact with people (imagine their communication ability).
6. They need their sheep and their sheep knew them.
7. They’re not the kind of person you’d expect them to be invited to the house of a king.
Related Text Illustrations
Contributed by Frank Gallagher on Nov 26, 2000
We’ve all read and heard these Bible verses about the shepherds before, taught by pastors and Sunday School teachers at Christmas time. We can even hear these verses on TV each year if we watch “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” Charlie Brown spends the show as so many people do today, looking in all ...read more
Contributed by Mark Haines on Dec 8, 2000
In 1864, one of America’s great poets, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, wrote the poem which became the well-known carol, I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. When I first heard this song, I wondered, “Why does he suddenly shift from joy at hearing the Christmas bells into such deep ...read more
Contributed by Owen Bourgaize on Dec 6, 2000
In a business magazine I read, there was an article about a company, imaginary I hope, that was planning its Christmas sales campaign. The board of directors was puzzled how they could beat their competitors, then suddenly the chairman had an idea. "We’ll have a crib," he said, getting very ...read more
Contributed by James Wilson on Dec 11, 2000
Christmas shopping, though fun, can be difficult. Did you hear about the guy that bought his wife a beautiful diamond ring for Christmas? A friend of his said, "I thought she wanted one of those sporty 4-Wheel drive ...read more