Contributed on Jan 17, 2017
This is the first lesson in a series based on James MacDonald's book, Authentic. This lesson battles the problem of hypocrisy.
1. Fake Cars In the 1970’s, Bradley Automotive sold a fiberglass body kit that fit perfectly onto a VW bug chassis. The body was very modern in style and design, giving the impression that it was an expensive GT or GT2 sports car. On the outside it looked expensive, showy, and modern but on the ...read more
Contributed on Feb 1, 2017
To be authentic we need a guide -- the word of God.
1. We are seeking authenticity – last week we considered the danger of hypocrisy. How are we to be real? 2. A Bible Like Mom’s In her book Parenting with Scripture, Kara Durbin wrote, “When I was little, I wanted a Bible just like my mom’s, and I was thrilled when I received one as a present. As ...read more
Contributed on Feb 6, 2017
The apostles devoted themselves to the ministry of the word (Acts 6.4) which involved the Internal, External, and Eternal Mission of God's word.
1. You are flying at 30,000 feet. Which wing of the airplane do you think is more important, the right or left? BOTH, of course! Welcome to Biblical thinking; both-and rather than either/or 2. The same is true in our walk with God – Acts 6.4 a. The problem solved with servants so the apostles ...read more
Contributed on Feb 14, 2017
To "Get Real!" and be genuine in our world, we must live in the state (condition) of showing our faith, not hiding it. We are challenged to see the unseen; live with certainty, and put our faith into practice.
1. [Joy Villa made a fashion statement at the 2017 Grammy Awards. She made an appearance, first with her outfit covered in a white outer garment; then revealed her red, white, and blue dress with the words, “Make America Great Again” and “Trump” embroidered on it. a. Where do you think she is ...read more
Contributed on Feb 24, 2017
Christians can display a sense of authenticity by working together on a mission bigger than themselves.
1. I am sure you have heard that President Trump intends to build a wall between the US and Mexico to cut down on illegal immigration a. Great Wall of China b. Berlin Wall c. Bethlehem Wall d. Wall to be in Heaven: 12 It had a great, high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve ...read more
Contributed on Mar 15, 2017
Authentic worship shows authentic Christian living.
1. Worship services are a high priority for most churches a. Preferential styles of worship have become hot buttons for churches b. Worship is often an indicator of church identity 2. Worship is ascribing “worth” or value to something 3. Words we use: Praise; Adore; Magnify; Rejoice; Give ...read more