Summary: And because of this we know that the time has come • Someday The Antichrist will come • And we are getting closer to that day
• We’ve spent a lot of time this year talking about the teachings of Paul
• And that makes sense because Paul wrote most of the New Testament
• But today we are going to look and take our lesson from the book of John
• More specifically 1 John 2:15-23
So first let’s get a little background on John and what’s been happening
• This letter is written by the Apostle John ( along with 2&3 John, The Gospel, Rev)
• Was probably written about 90 AD and at this time John would have been an old man
• And we need to understand that the book of 1 John is more of a sermon than a letter
Now when Jesus was standing before Pilot, Pilot asked Jesus a great question
• He said Jn 18:38 “What is truth?”
• As I said it was a great question but the problem was that his timing was bad
• Because Jesus had just answered this question in the previous verse
• In vs 37 Jesus said. “I was born for that purpose. And I came to bring truth to the world. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true.”
• Pilot was looking Truth in the face and he couldn’t recognize it
Now 50 years later Christians are still having trouble recognizing the truth and this is what led up to the sermon
• The biggest problem was that Some of these Christians had started adding to the truth with the intent of making it better
• Someone had come up with the idea that Jesus has just a spirit who looked human
• And a religious movement started and churches had started to split
• So the title of John’s sermon could quite possible have been “Getting back to the Basics”
• How as Christians what we are expected Believe / to Behave / we are to know that we are children of God
So with this being said lets start by looking at 2:15-17
1Jn 2:15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1Jn 2:16 For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world.
1Jn 2:17 The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
Do not love the world nor the things it offers you
• We’ve talked about this a few times in the past
• The love of stuff
• We are programed by worldly standards to want the newest / Latest / greatest things
• Cell Phones (ELAB)
• Now the cell phone companies have come up with a new way to get us, for AT&T people its called the next program.
• How it works is that allows you to get a new phone either every 12-18 months
• And then you pay each month, but considering that you are locked in to a 24 month contract your contract never ends. They have just figured out a way to keep you in that contract.
But here John is telling us that we are not to lured in
• Now what exactly is a lure?
• It is used more often than not in fishing however its used on animals and birds as well