Summary: What does praising God do for me?
20 Benefits Derived from Praising God: Heb. 13:15
Introduction: Psalms 150:1-6, “Praise the Lord! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty firmament! Praise Him for His mighty acts; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!
Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet; Praise with the lute and the harp!
Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! Praise Him with loud cymbols; Praise Him with clashing cymbols!
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord!”
- Perhaps no other book exemplifies the spirit of praise and worship more than the book of Psalms. It records more verses of praise than any other book of the Bible. Obviously, God wants praise from His people. God tells us to give Him thanks in everything (1 Thess. 5:8), even through hardship. We may not understand what is happening; we may never understand, but God’s will in each circumstance is that we praise and thank Him.
- It is because praise is the clearest and most direct means of showing your total dependence on God. It shows your trust in Him in the midst of darkness. It confesses your allegiance and devotion to the One who was crucified for you and to whom you are eternally joined.
Consider a few of the specific benefits we derive from Praising the Lord:
1. Praise helps us honor, worship, and give maximum glory to the One who deserves it (Eph. 1:1). Praise puts our focus on God, not our problems. God’s power, presence, and ability transform our thinking.
2. Praise helps us complete God’s primary purpose for creating us. (Eph.1:3)
3. It is impossible to know the will of God without true worship. (John 4:24)
4. Praise helps us understand our own identity, privileges, and responsibilities. (Eph.1:1)
5. Praise helps us fully appreciate and appropriate God’s grace and goodness of peace. (Eph.1:2)
6. Praise helps us gain a richer sense of spiritual, mental, emotional, social, and physical tranquility.
7. Praise helps us gain a greater awareness of how enriched we are through God’s blessings. (Eph.1:3)
8. Praise helps us feel greater security in His everlasting love that chose us from creation. (Eph.1:4)
9. Praise helps us have greater self esteem knowing that God picked us out for Himself. (Eph.1:4)
10. Praise helps us give greater incentive to live our lives in holiness and consecration. (Eph.1:4)
11. Praise helps us live lives that are blameless, pure, and wholly devoted to God. (Eph.1:4)
12. Praise humbles us. When we worship God, we gain a right view of ourselves. Praise deflates excess pride and ego. We gain a healthy self image, based on God’s view of us. By removing pride, praise strengthens us against temptation.
13. Praise helps us share with others the rich blessings that can be theirs through Christ.
14. Praise helps us understand our inherited entitlements in Christ. (Eph.1:5)
15. Praise reminds us that we are created to be witnesses of His praise to the 5-billion non-Christians.
16. Praise reminds us of our wonderful redemption, deliverance, and salvation in Christ. (Eph.1:7)