Summary: James 2:14-26 tells us of 3 kinds of faith. 1. Dead Faith - confesses Jesus with mouth but does not follow in obedience. 2. Demonic Faith - knows who God is and has an emotional reaction 3. Dynamic Faith - True Biblical Faith
James 2:14-17 What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? 15 Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, 16 and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do? 17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.
I. What is Faith?
A. Without faith, it is impossible to please God
Hebrews 11:6 And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to Him must believe that God exists and that He rewards those who sincerely seek Him.
B. We are saved by faith
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God. (ESV)
C. We are to walk (live) by faith
2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. (ESV)
D. Whatever we do apart from faith is described as sin
Romans 14:23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. (ESV)
Not All faith is Saving Faith.
II. DEAD FAITH (14-17)
A. This faith says the right things but does not follow through with actions.
1. Knows the Truth
2. But "walk" does not measure up to the "talk"!
B. Is only an INTELLECTUAL faith
1. This faith in only in the mind.
2. This faith does not submit to Christ as Lord
3. This faith is words that do not lead to works.
C. CAN THIS KIND OF FAITH SAVE?
1. NO! 3 times, James says "faith without works is dead" - James 2:17, 20, 26
2. Knowing about Christ does not mean you Know Christ!
1. True faith does not mean perfection. - it mean we trust in Jesus’ perfection
2. True faith leads to action. - because of Jesus’ action we react in obedience
3. Do you have true faith?