Summary: 3 Kinds of Faith part 2
James 2:14-20 What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? 15 Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, 16 and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?
17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless. 18 Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”19 You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. 20 How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?
I. Recap: DEAD Faith (14-17)
A. Dead Faith says the right things but does not follow with actions.
B. Dead Faith is only an INTELLECTUAL faith
C. Can Dead Faith save?
1. NO! 3 times, James says "faith without works is dead" –
2. Knowing about Christ does not mean you Know Christ!
II. DEMONIC Faith (18,19)
A. Do you have Faith? So do demons.
1. Demons believe in God
2. Demons even believe Jesus is God
Luke 4:33-36 And in the synagogue there was a man who had the spirit of an unclean demon, and he cried out with a loud voice, “Ha! What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God.” But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent and come out of him!” And when the demon had thrown him down in their midst, he came out of him, having done him no harm. And they were all amazed and said to one another, “What is this word? For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and they come out!”
Mark 3:11-12 And whenever those possessed by evil spirits caught sight of him, the spirits would throw them to the ground in front of him shrieking, “You are the Son of God!” 12 But Jesus sternly commanded the spirits not to reveal who He was.
3. Demons also believe in the existence of a place of condemnation
Luke 8:31 The demons kept begging Jesus not to send them into the bottomless pit
4. And they believe Jesus will be the Judge! - Matt 8:28-29
B. What kind of faith do Demons have?
1. Dead Faith "touches only in the MIND"
2. Demonic Faith touches your mind and emotions" (they “believe and tremble")
3. More dangerous than "dead faith" – Demonic Faith involves both MIND and EMOTIONS
C. Can Demonic Faith save?
1. NO! We can know Christ with our mind and be emotionally connected but still not be a Christ Follower.
2. True saving faith involves something more, something that can be seen and recognized: a changed life!
James 2:18 Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”
3. Being a Jesus Follower involves trusting & living for Christ!