Summary: Paul suggests that we ware the following type garments compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience.
“Character Clothing” Colossians 3:12-17
Christmas is over, now we all sort through all the stuff we got, games, and video games electronic devices and of course we all got some sort of clothing. That is what Paul is talking about in the text.
1. Paul begins the text by saying Gods Chosen or those who represent Christ should ware certain attire
• 12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves
• Way, Way Back in the fifties commercial flying was fairly new, but you dressed top notch men wore suits, women wore dresses. If you flew in the fifties you were probably wealthy because flying was expensive,
• Now consider the dress for the 2015 era sandals, relaxed clothing, you might think the flight was intended for a group of punk rockers going to a concert.
• In the fifties there was no dress code, but now there is for flying because well you figure that out.
2. Paul feels it is not about Individualism but it’s about Image-ism
• Paul begins by reminding the Colossian church that it's never been about marking ourselves as different and claiming our individual rights. Paul says "There is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free, but Christ is all and in all" (v. 11).
• Paul reminds the church that those who love God All who love Christ are "God's chosen ones" who are "holy and beloved" (v. 12). Paul believes that Our attitudes reflect the image of God
3. Paul believes the redeemed should ware what he called Character Clothing Paul says, “Cloth yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
• Our first Character Clothing we should ware at all times is compassion. Compassion is sympathy for the situations of others. The little boy at Christmas who left a note for Santa
• The second Character Clothing Paul believes we should ware is Kindness
Kindness is the active consideration for others and their needs. We look for ways to care for people where they are. Jesus cared for people where they were adultery, lepers, sinners.
• The third Character Clothing we need to be adorned with is Humility
Humility helps us to see others as more important than ourselves. This is an important theme for the apostle Paul: Note the following verses
- With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love (Ephesians 4:2);
- Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves (Philippians 2:3)
- [Do] not to think of yourself more highly than you ought to think. (Romans 12:3).
-And the apostle James adds, "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom" (James 3:13).
Saint Augustine said, "It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes humans as angels."
• The fourth Character clothing Paul feels is important to be clothed with is Meekness or gentleness it involves courtesy and consideration for others, waiving our rights to personal gain in order to lift up the other.
• The Fifth Character Clothing Paul believes Christians ware is Patience. Patience is the ability to not become frustrated and angry when others intrude on us, but, instead, offer forgiveness for their shortcomings. Paul says, 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
4. Paul concludes by saying the Character clothing that Knits us altogether is love 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let Peace rule, Let us be thankful, Let the Word of Christ be rich in us, And whatever we do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
5. Remember early in the fifties no dress code for flight but now there is. There is a dress code for the flight to Heaven. It isn’t Character clothing” but “Christ Clothed”. Are you clothed in Christ?