Summary: We are constantly looking for a better way to do things. Let us think back to a time before Christ and how much better off we are now
A BETTER WAY
1. In life we are always trying to find a better way to do something. This unending search has created many inventions. The Car, Computer, the cotton gin, most everything that was invented was to find a better way to do something
2. What did Jesus invent? How did Jesus provide a better way? That is what we are going to look at today.
3. Hebrews is one of the two most "theological" books in the New Testament. The other one being Romans.
4. No one is sure of the author or the date. Many scholars have debated this and continue to try and figure it out.
5. The letter appears to be written to Hebrew Christian to try and prevent them from relapsing into Judaism, or as least of placing too much concern on the ceremonial observances
6. The chief doctrinal purpose of this letter is to show the transcended glory of the Christian age compared to that of the Old Testament.
7. The Key word in this book is Better. I hope that you will realize the number of things that are better about this Christian age. In Fact I will give you three things that are better today
1. Better Communication
2. Better Image
3. Better Position
I. Better Communication (1-2)
1. Here is something to consider, back 100 years ago communication was
way different, imagine if you wanted to tell someone something that lived far away. This would take either take forever or cost a lot of money. This is not true anymore, you could email them, talk to them on a cell phone...
2. So image what it would have been like to talk to God.
3. God used many different prophets in many different ways.
4. But here is the Good thing, Because of God’s Gift of his son; we now
have a direct link to God. No dial up, no busy signals, no power failures, no computer crashes...Just instant access
1. This is better!
2. We can talk to God any time. WE need to take advantage of that
3. It is totally useless to have the ability to do something and not do it.
4. We don’t have to go through a Priest or anyone else. We just need to
talk to God!
5. This is better communication!
Have you ever been driving along the road and seen an Amish person? The simplistic lifestyle may seem attractive. However, I’m sure that you all have wondered sometime why they do that. You know that there are a lot of things out there that would make their life so much easier. But they don’t use it. That is the same way if we are not using our better communication!
II. Better image (3)
1. We have a very distorted view of the image of God.
2. We know that we were created in the image of God. However, due to
our sinful nature that image has been completely distorted. I’m sure that
we have drifted far away from the actual image of God.
3. But Jesus never did. Jesus was and is the perfect image.
4. Jesus provided the purification of our sins
5. And now sites at the right hand of His Father.
1. We have the perfect image of God
2. When God created man in his image, the image was Jesus.