Summary: Looking like a member of God’s family comes from hearing, believing, and living out the truth of God’s Word.
* Illus. People’s dogs tend to look like them.
* Family members typically carry a resemblance to each other.
I. Those of God act like it.
* Some people have no place for Jesus’ teachings. (37)
* What Jesus is saying doesn’t fit into their plans, their lives, or their family situation.
* Jesus was with the Father and truly testified of what He saw with him (38)
* No one was in better position to describe the things and ways of God than Jesus.
* The people protested that they were the descendents of Abraham. (39)
* “Jesus, review the history. We are special; we are God’s chosen people of Abraham.”
* Jesus response was, “You certainly don’t act like it.”
* “You seek to kill the messenger of God, very much unlike Abraham.” (40)
* “You are acting more like the children of a murderer. (41a).
* They responded, “You are offending us. We have one Father; God.” (41b)
* What was Jesus’ reply? Act like it then!
* Matthew 7:16-20 - “You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 “Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 “A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 “Therefore by their fruits you will know them.”
* People who are of God act like it.
* No, we are not perfect, but we have a desire to do the service of God and we confess and admit failure when we fail.
* I John 3:9 - Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.
* The Natural thing for a Christian to do is to serve and please God. For a believer, sin is unnatural.
* These, and many other professed Christians, show a nature that is more bent towards sinning than to righteousness.
* Paul said that being a “living sacrifice” is our reasonable, or natural, behavior and service. Romans 12:1-2.
* The conclusion? If we are of God, it should begin to show.
* Evangelist Dale Patterson says, “When I was saved, God did a work in me. As I grew in Christ and in knowledge, God began doing a work through me.”
II. Those of God Love the things of God.
* Jesus’ response was, “If God was truly your Father, you would love the things of God, including me. I am from God.” (42).
* I will be honest, I really am concerned about those professed Christians who hate Church.
* I worry about those who hate the things of God.
* I worry about those who hate some preachers and professed Christians.
* That is not natural for Children of God.
* I John 4:19 - And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.
* If we are of God, we will love the things God loves.
* Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her. Ephesians 5:25.
* When you have a family resemblance of God, people notice how you love all, not how difficult you are to get along with, how you hold grudges, how you don’t like this one and that one.