Summary: A Father’s Day Message
“A Father’s Gift”
(A Father’s Day Message)
Today is a special day, a day we pay tribute to our father’s. This is a special day for me, for one, I have a great father that has joined us this morning. Secondly, I am a father-to-be a second time. This day is a reflection for us all. Some carry fond memories of growing up with a father that spent time with you, taught you about God, took you to church, taught you to ride a bike, taught you to fish or hunt, or maybe read bed time stories to you as a small child. He was there when you went on your first date, showed you the proper way to shave, or for the ladies, he gave your prom date the “the look”. Some gathered here this morning, may have different memories of your father. Maybe he wasn’t the world’s greatest dad, maybe he wasn’t a Christian, maybe he was never around, but you had a great mother or great grandparents. Nevertheless, we are here to honor great fathers today!
· Share some memories you have of Dad.
· Share some things you enjoy about being a dad.
Transition: There are a lot of cool things about being a dad but one thing is for sure…
2. Being A Father Is About Giving
Proverbs 4:1-7 says…
Listen, my sons, to a father’s instruction; pay attention and gain understanding. I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching. When I was a boy in my father’s house, still tender, and an only child of my mother, he taught me and said, "Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live. Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them. Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Esteem her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you. She will set a garland of grace on your head and present you with a crown of splendor." Listen, my son, accept what I say, and the years of your life will be many. I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble. Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life.
Luke 11:11-12 says…
"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?
· Crystal and I have talked about the subject of parenthood many times. Bailey is only two and a half years of age, but the reality is that life will never be the same for us. Once you have children everything changes, but for the better!
· If you asked any father in this building what he desired most for his children, the answer would probably be, “I want my children to make wise choices.”
· A father will spend his life giving instruction to his children in hopes that they will make right choices.
· I know as a father that I cannot give my little girl everything she wants, I would like to give her the world (but I know that would spoil her rotten), but hopefully with God’s help, I can do my part to give her all she needs.