Summary: This message from the Song of Songs teaches us concerning the unique relationship between Christ and His Bride: The Church.
“A Garden Enclosed”
Dr. Steven G. Cook
A. READ TEXT – Text Verse (5:1)
B. In Song of Solomon 4:1-8, the shepherd/King praises the Shulamite girl for her beauty.
C. What a picture of the relationship of the Lord Jesus Christ and His Bride, the Church!
D. Read – Ephesians 5:25-33 (Mystery concerning Christ & Church)
E. The Song of Solomon provides an “Allegory” – a story used to teach a truth.
F. In our text we find some very important Truths taught concerning the relationship of Christ and His Bride, the Church.
II. The Relationship of the Church TO Christ (S. of S. 4:9-12; 5:1)
A. Those who trust Jesus Christ as Savior are said to be “born into the family of God.”
B. We are born physically into the family of our parents; We are born spiritually by grace through faith in Christ Jesus.
C. We become children of God by regeneration – being quickened by the Spirit – the very moment that we accept Christ as Savior.
D. We become heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ at the same time.
E. Notice that 4 Times in passage – The shepherd/King calls the Shulamite both “Sister” and “Spouse”. (vss. 9; 10; 12; 5:1)
F. Having been purchased by our “Kinsman-Redeemer”, we enter into a most blessed relationship of both “sister” and “wife” of Jesus Christ.
G. Although we have not been married to Christ, we are espoused (engaged) to Him – The marriage will take place following the “catching away” or the Rapture of the Church – Rev. 19:6-9
H. One of the greatest mysteries in the world is WHY Christ loves us so!
I. Here we see in these verses the ravishing of the Lord’s heart by His Bride.
J. He finds in us something that is worth loving; something that worth dying for, though we cannot.
K. What a blessing that that the Lord Jesus Christ finds us redeemable, finds us worthy of His love wherewith He loves us!
L. He compares us to the greatest of pleasures – O, the Love of God:
O the love that drew salvation’s plan
O the grace that brought it down to man
O the mighty gulf that God did span
Mercy there was great, and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty
III. The Reality of the Church IN Christ (S. of S. 4:12-15)
A. In this passage, we find that the Church is a “Garden Inclosed”!
B. Notice the beauty of this illustration: The Church Is Enclosed – 2 Cor. 5:17
C. Only ONE DOOR into the Garden – Jesus Christ
D. Members of the Body of Christ are protected from outside dangers
E. We are secure in the Masters Hand – Rom. 8:31-38
IV. The Reason for the Church OF Christ (S. of S. 4:12b-5:1)
A. Spring Shut Up; Fountain Sealed – 1 Cor. 1:30
1. All that we need our Lord can supply.
2. The Church does not rely upon the world for its resources – The Head of the Church, Christ, is our ALL in ALL.
B. Orchard of Pomegranates –1 Peter 1:18-23
1. Every child of God is born of the Precious Seed – Word of God.
2. We are therefore, exhorted to share the same message to others.
3. We are to be “sowers of the Seed”
C. Pleasant Fruit – Gal. 5:22-23; Eph. 5:9-21
1. We are to “produce fruit” as a Garden Enclosed!
2. Christians are to bear the image of the their Savior
3. The world is in desperate need of Light!
D. Fountain of Gardens
1. What an exhortation to be a “Soul Winner!”
2. A fountain of Gardens is what every child of God should be.
E. Well of Living Waters
1. Jesus spoke of a fountain that shall never run dry.
2. Have you considered yourself a “Well” in which others might draw?
3. Let us not be “dry wells”, but rather wells of Living Water!
F. Spices Should Flow Out
1. We are to “flow out” to others – We are to “flow out” to Christ!
2. The Lord desires our fellowship to be as it was in the Garden of Eden.
3. The Lord also desires our sweet spices to flow out to a lost and dying world.
4. ARE YOU “FLOWING OUT”???